All you need to know: MLB news and rumors roundup for Dec. 14
Let's recap all that went down on this day and all that *might* go down in the days to come.
The hot stove front was mostly quiet on Saturday, but not as quiet as it could've been in the immediate afterglow of the Winter Meetings. So let's run down all that's worth knowing for Dec. 14 ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Chicago Cubs : Signed OF Ryan Kalish to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- Arizona Diamondbacks : Signed veteran C Henry Blanco to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- Los Angeles Dodgers : LA has filled its hole at third base by agreeing to terms with Juan Uribe on a two-year contract. Earlier in the day, the Dodgers had been linked to Michael Young as a possible regular at third.
- New York Mets : Officially announced the signing of RHP Bartolo Colon to a two-year, $20-million contract.
- Royals: Signed RHP Cory Wade to a minor-league deal.
- Minnesota Twins : As our own Jon Heyman reported, the Twins have agreed to terms with RHP Mike Pelfrey on a two-year deal that will pay him a guaranteed $11 million.
RUMORS & SPECULATION
- Darwin Barney : The Cubs and New York Yankees may be talking about a trade involving the slick-fielding second baseman.
- Atlanta Braves : Are reportedly close to a deal with free agent RHP Gavin Floyd.
- Miami Marlins : Reportedly eyeing Wilson Betemit and Casey McGehee as possibilities for third base (Barry Jackson, Miami Herald).
- Baltimore Orioles : The O's are said to be in pursuit of free agent RHP and Maryland resident A.J. Burnett.
- Philadelphia Phillies : Corey Seidman of CSN Philly writes that the Phillies may not have any room left in the budget this offseason. Already this winter, the Phillies, coming off an 89-loss season, have , among other moves, re-signed C Carlos Ruiz and inked OF Marlon Byrd and SP Roberto Hernandez. They'll likely wind up a 2014 payroll in excess of $150 million.