All you need to know: MLB news and rumors roundup for Dec. 27
Friday was mostly about Masahiro Tanaka speculation, so let's run down the essentials.
Friday marked the onset of Masahiro Tanaka rumor-churning, so that will be the focus for today's "All you need to know." Now let's run down the must-knows for Dec. 27 ...
ALL THINGS MASAHIRO TANAKA
- A straw poll of team execs undertaken by Bob Nightengale suggests that Tanaka will wind up making at least $17 million per. That, of course, is in addition to the $20-million posting fee that goes back to Rakuten, his former team in Japan.
- Will MLB bar Tanaka from donating money to his former NPB club for capital improvements? They appear to have the power and intent to do just that.
- Philadelphia Phillies : Justin Klugh of Philly.com says you shouldn't expect GM Ruben Amaro to be among the fiercest suitors of Tanaka.
- Seattle Mariners : Roger Rubin of the New York Daily News writes that Seattle will definitely be among the strongest contenders for Tanaka's services.
- Boston Red Sox : Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe wrote late Thursday night that the Sox don't yet appear to be seriously interested in Tanaka.
- New York Yankees : Marc Carig of Newsday reports that the Yanks have already been in touch with Tanaka's agent, Casey Close. The Yankees are expected to be among the favorites to sign the 25-year-old right-hander.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Nelson Cruz : Texas Rangers GM Jon Daniels says he expects the free agent outfielder to sign elsewhere. Texas's signing of Shin-Soo Choo (see below) all but ensured that. (Richard Durrett via Twitter)
- Ike Davis : The New York Mets reportedly were turned down by the Baltimore Orioles when they asked for Eduardo Rodriguez in exchange for Davis, but they're still talking trade with the O's, Milwaukee Brewers and Pittsburgh Pirates . (Mike Puma via Twitter)
- Sam Fuld : Five unnamed teams are reportedly considering offering Fuld a minor-league contract for next season. (Zach Links, MLBTradeRumors)
- Los Angeles Angels : The Halos may be emerging as the favorites to sign 36-year-old lefty Mark Mulder , who's making a comeback attempt and hasn't pitched in the majors since 2008. (Nick Cafardo via Twitter)
- Mets: Mets exec J.P. Ricciardi tells WEEI that the team is happy with Ruben Tejeda as its starting shortstop. This would seem to downplay the Mets' chances of hotly pursuing free agent shortstop Stephen Drew .
- Red Sox: The Sox may develop interest in right-handed reliever Jesse Crain . (Peter Abraham, Boston Globe)
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Angels: Officially announced signing of DH Raul Ibanez to a one-year, $2.75-million contract, plus incentives.
- Chicago Cubs : Officially announced the signing of closer/RHP Jose Veras to a one-year contract plus a team option for 2015. The deal includes $4 million guaranteed.
- Rangers: Officially announced signing of OF Shin-Soo Choo to a seven-year, $130-million deal. Next season, Choo will bat lead-off and man left field for Ron Washington.
Our Latest Stories
Abbott struck out 13 while throwing 106 pitches in the dominant outing
The Rangers could extend Nomar Mazara next
Sanchez has allowed only two hits in his last 14 innings, including six no-hit innings on...
With the Nationals take the NL East again, or will the Mets steal it? Or will someone shock...
The deal buys out Odor's first two years of free agency
The retired slugger told some Miami students as much