All you need to know: MLB rumors and news roundup for Dec. 29
Let's have a quick walking tour of all that's worth knowing for Sunday on the MLB offseason front.
Another offseason day can be marked off your "Pitchers and Catchers Report Advent Calendar," so let's recap all that merits your attention from Sunday, Dec. 29 ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Kansas City Royals : Have agreed to terms with infielder Jason Donald and outfielder Melky Mesa on minor-league contracts.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Johan Santana : The veteran lefty is close to signing a minor-league deal with an unnnamed team, writes Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. The Minnesota Twins remain a possible destination for Santana.
- Masahiro Tanaka: MLB has reportedly asked the Rakuten Golden Eagles, Tanaka's former team, to promise in writing that they have no "side deal" with the coveted right-hander that would lead to their getting money from him in the future. ... Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Arizona Diamondbacks may send a contingent to meet with Tanaka in Japan. The D-backs are considered to be among the teams most interested in signing the 25-year-old ace. ... Texas Rangers co-chairman Bob Simpson doesn't foresee his team making a serious run at Tanaka, writes Drew Davison of the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram.
- Chicago Cubs : MLB.com's Carrie Muskat writes that Luis Valbuena appears the favorite to open the season as the Cubs' starting third baseman.
- Los Angeles Dodgers : Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is hearing that the Dodgers may still wind up trading one of their surplus outfielders, Matt Kemp , Carl Crawford or Andre Ethier . As for Kemp, Cafardo notes that he may garner interest in spring training if/when he proves he's recovered from his shoulder and leg injuries.
- New York Mets : The Mets are still in touch with agent Scott Boras regarding free agent SS Stephen Drew , Marc Carig of Newsday reports, but nothing is imminent.
- Baltimore Orioles : MASN's Steve Melewski writes that free agent closer Fernando Rodney would be a good fit in Baltimore in the wake of Grant Balfour 's deal that wasn't.
- San Diego Padres : GM Josh Byrnes would still like to add another reliever this offseason. (Corey Brock via Twitter)
- Rangers: GM Jon Daniels says the team will likely fill its hole at DH by starting Mitch Moreland against RHPs and Michael Choice or another right-handed bat against LHPs. (Drew Davison, Ft. Worth Star-Telegram)
- New York Yankees : Some GMs who talked to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe see free agent RHP Ubaldo Jimenez landing in the Bronx regardless of what happens with Masahiro Tanaka.