All you need to know: MLB rumors and news roundup for Feb. 1
Saturday's full hot stove recap can be found within.
On the MLB hot stove front, here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, Feb. 1 ...
TRANSACTIONS & AGREEMENTS
- Los Angeles Dodgers : Avoided arbitration with C A.J. Ellis by signing him to a one-year, $3.55-million contract.
- Washington Nationals : Avoided arbitration with RHP Doug Fister by signing him to a one-year, $7.2-million contract.
- San Diego Padres : Signed LHP Tony Sipp to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- Boston Red Sox : CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reports that the Sox have signed OF Corey Brown to a minor-league contract.
- Cincinnati Reds : Signed C Bryan Anderson , a one-time well-regarded prospect in the St. Louis Cardinals system, to a minor-league contract.
- Kansas City Royals : Designated INF/OF Emilio Bonifacio for assignment. The Royals made the move in order to make room on the 40-man roster for the newly signed Bruce Chen .
RUMORS, SPECULATION, TIDBITS
- Suk-Min Yoon: The 27-year-old Korean right-hander recently worked out for the San Francisco Giants and Baltimore Orioles . (@MyKBO)
- Los Angeles Angels : Reportedly made a four-year offer to Matt Garza prior to his signing with the Milwaukee Brewers but pulled it back after he didn't immediately accept it. (Ken Rosenthal via Twitter)
- Toronto Blue Jays : The Jays, still in search of help in the rotation, may have some interest in RHP A.J. Burnett , who not long ago said he's planning on pitching in 2014. (TSN)
- Chicago Cubs : Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago writes that the Cubs and RHP Jeff Samardzija have made little progress over the last 12 months with regard to a long-term contract extension.
- Orioles: GM Dan Duquette says the team will soon approach SS J.J. Hardy about a contract extension ... 3B Manny Machado (left knee surgery) has been cleared by doctors to resume hitting, running and fielding grounders. (Stephania Bell, ESPN.com) ... LHP Wei-Yin Chen (right knee) says he expects to be ready for the start of the season. (Roch Kubatko via Twitter)
- Royals: Ace James Shields says he'd "definitely be open-minded" toward signing an extension with the Royals. He's eligible for free agency after the upcoming season. (Blair Kerkhoff, Kansas City Star)
Our Latest Stories
The two met earlier this season when Ledecky threw out a ceremonial first pitch
The 2015 NL MVP wasn't nearly as good in 2016, but the team around him was much better
Eduardo Nunez is not content to watch a ball fall harmlessly behind the plate for a strike
It's the Nats' third division title in the last five years
Runs are hard to come by for the Yanks right now
Jose Fernandez won't be starting on Sunday against the Braves as planned