All you need to know: MLB rumors and news roundup for Feb. 1
Saturday's full hot stove recap can be found within.
On the MLB hot stove front, here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, Feb. 1 ...
TRANSACTIONS & AGREEMENTS
- Los Angeles Dodgers : Avoided arbitration with C A.J. Ellis by signing him to a one-year, $3.55-million contract.
- Washington Nationals : Avoided arbitration with RHP Doug Fister by signing him to a one-year, $7.2-million contract.
- San Diego Padres : Signed LHP Tony Sipp to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- Boston Red Sox : CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reports that the Sox have signed OF Corey Brown to a minor-league contract.
- Cincinnati Reds : Signed C Bryan Anderson , a one-time well-regarded prospect in the St. Louis Cardinals system, to a minor-league contract.
- Kansas City Royals : Designated INF/OF Emilio Bonifacio for assignment. The Royals made the move in order to make room on the 40-man roster for the newly signed Bruce Chen .
RUMORS, SPECULATION, TIDBITS
- Suk-Min Yoon: The 27-year-old Korean right-hander recently worked out for the San Francisco Giants and Baltimore Orioles . (@MyKBO)
- Los Angeles Angels : Reportedly made a four-year offer to Matt Garza prior to his signing with the Milwaukee Brewers but pulled it back after he didn't immediately accept it. (Ken Rosenthal via Twitter)
- Toronto Blue Jays : The Jays, still in search of help in the rotation, may have some interest in RHP A.J. Burnett , who not long ago said he's planning on pitching in 2014. (TSN)
- Chicago Cubs : Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago writes that the Cubs and RHP Jeff Samardzija have made little progress over the last 12 months with regard to a long-term contract extension.
- Orioles: GM Dan Duquette says the team will soon approach SS J.J. Hardy about a contract extension ... 3B Manny Machado (left knee surgery) has been cleared by doctors to resume hitting, running and fielding grounders. (Stephania Bell, ESPN.com) ... LHP Wei-Yin Chen (right knee) says he expects to be ready for the start of the season. (Roch Kubatko via Twitter)
- Royals: Ace James Shields says he'd "definitely be open-minded" toward signing an extension with the Royals. He's eligible for free agency after the upcoming season. (Blair Kerkhoff, Kansas City Star)