All you need to know: MLB rumors and news roundup for Feb. 20
Thursday's full hot stove recap can be found within.
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Atlanta Braves : Signed SS Andrelton Simmons to a seven-year, $58-million contract extension.
- Boston Red Sox : Agreed to terms with LHP Chris Capuano on a one-year, $2.25-million contract plus incentives.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Toronto Blue Jays : Sportsnet.ca's Ben Nicholson-Smith writes that it appears that the Jays won't be adding a starting pitcher this offseason.
- St. Louis Cardinals : As expected, RHP Adam Wainwright will be the Cards' opening-day starter. (Joe Strauss via Twitter)
- Seattle Mariners : Adam Rubin of ESPN New York writes that the M's are likely to trade Nick Franklin or or Brad Miller before Opening Day. Franklin is the more likely of the two to be moved.
- Red Sox: The agent for DH David Ortiz met with team officials today to discuss his client's contract status. (Alex Speier, WEEI)
- Houston Astros : Top pitching prospect Mark Appel threw off a mound Thursday for the first time since undergoing an emergency appendectomy earlier this month. (Evan Drellich via Twitter)
- New York Mets : RHP Matt Harvey , who underwent Tommy John surgery in October of last year, has been cleared to begin a throwing program.
- Baltimore Orioles : 3B Manny Machado (knee surgery) is taking batting practice and fielding grounders, but he's not yet running the bases. (Jayson Stark, ESPN.com)
- San Diego Padres : Lefty prospect Max Fried won't throw for at least two weeks because of elbow soreness. Fried was the seventh-overall pick of the June 2013 draft. (Dennis Lin, San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Texas Rangers : Have shut down LHP Matt Harrison because of lower back stiffness. He's working his way back from two back surgeries performed last season.
- New York Yankees : 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) likely won't see any Grapefruit League action before March 3. (George King III, New York Post) ... MGR Joe Girardi had some positive things to say after watching RHP Michael Pineda throw a bullpen session (Mark Feinsand via Twitter).
Our Latest Stories
Here's a look at the postseason race standings with five days left in the regular season
Epstein's initial contract was set to expire after this season
The heartbreak continued Wednesday with Fernandez's family and teammates on hand
Of course, Ventura still has to decide if he wants to return as manager
The hill will be eliminated from the playing surface at Minute Maid Park before next seaso...
The Hall has been honoring MLB's permanent ban of Rose for gambling on games