All you need to know: MLB rumors and news roundup for Feb. 22
Saturday's full hot stove recap can be found within.
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- San Francisco Giants : Have signed OF Tyler Colvin to a minor-league contract. Jon Heyman reports that Colvin will make $1 million this season if he makes the Giants’ roster.
- Yankees: Have reportedly agreed to terms with often-injured reliever Andrew Bailey on an incentive-heavy minor-league contract.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Ervin Santana : Our own Jon Heyman writes that the Texas Rangers , Toronto Blue Jays and Orioles all have serious interest in the free agent right-hander. FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal adds that one source says Santana would be more likely to sit out until June rather than sign a deep-discount contract like Nelson Cruz just did. After the June draft, signing a player who was made a qualifying offer, as Santana was, no longer entails the loss of a draft pick.
- Cleveland Indians : Terry Pluto of the Clevelan Plain Dealer writes that the Indians will soon "make a serious push" to sign 2B Jason Kipnis to a contract extension.
- Colorado Rockies : MGR Walt Weiss announced that Carlos Gonzalez will remain in left field this season. The center field job will likely go to one of Drew Stubbs , Charlie Blackmon , Corey Dickerson or Brandon Barnes . (Thomas Harding via Twitter)
- St. Louis Cardinals : Have shut down LHP Jaime Garcia because of shoulder discomfort. He’s now doubtful for opening day ... RHP Jason Motte (Tommy John surgery) is slated to throw from a mound next week. (Jennifer Langosch, MLB.com)
- New York Mets : RHP Matt Harvey (Tommy John surgery) had good things to say after throwing 20 times from 60 feet on Saturday. (Kristie Ackert, New York Daily News)
- San Diego Padres : 3B Chase Headley could miss the next couple of weeks after straining his right calf on Saturday. (Corey Brock via Twitter)
- Rangers: C Geovany Soto will be sidelined the next three weeks after undergoing surgery to remove a bone in his left foot. The team, however, expects him to be ready for opening day. (Evan Grant, Dallas Morning News) … 2B Jurickson Profar (shoulder) has been cleared to begin swinging the bat. (Evan Grant via Twitter)
- Boston Red Sox : OF Grady Sizemore (knee) may be ready to play in the team's first spring game next week. (Jason Mastrodonato via Twitter)
The two hit kings are taking a few swings off the field
Hill has made just two full starts since May 29, so scouts haven't seem much of him
Many of their numbers are nearly identical
The Nationals are willing to trade Giolito for Miller straight up, according to an MLB.com...
The Nationals solved their leadoff hitter problem without making a trade by calling up Trea...
Here is a breakdown of Friday's trade deadline buzz