All you need to know: MLB rumors and news roundup for Feb. 24
Monday's full hot stove recap can be found within.
From Jon Heyman ... First, our man in the chopper reports that the Colorado Rockies may have some interest in free agent starter Ervin Santana . Heyman also name-checks the Baltimore Orioles , Texas Rangers and Seattle Mariners as having some interest in Santana. Elsewhere, Heyman reports that the Cleveland Indians have approached 2B Jason Kipnis regarding a contract extension.
Now for the rest ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Rangers: Have signed MGR Ron Washington to a contract extension through the 2015 season.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Nick Franklin : The Mariners and New York Mets have reportedly talked about a trade involving the 22-year-old shortstop.
- Chicago Cubs : Regarding the trade status of RHP Jeff Jeff Samardzija , Gordon Wittenmeyer of the Chicago Sun-Times is hearing differing opinions. Two "industry sources" tell Wittenmeyer that there's a good chance Samardzija is traded before opening day, while a third source says there are no current trade talks to that end.
- Mets: COO Jeff Wilpon says the team intends to exercise its 2015 option on GM Sandy Alderson. (Kristie Ackert, New York Daily News) ... Tim Rohan of the New York Times writes that Daisuke Matsuzaka has a shot at winning the Mets' fifth-starter job.
- Orioles: Last week, the Orioles approached J.J. Hardy 's agent about a contract extension. Hardy is eligible for free agency after the upcoming season. (Eduardo A. Encina via Twitter)
- Cincinnati Reds : Cincy will give Alfredo Simon some work as a starter this spring just in case Mat Latos isn't healthy for the start of the regular season. (Mark Sheldon via Twitter)
- New York Yankees : May have some interest in free agent reliever Joel Hanrahan , who's working his way back from Tommy John surgery.
- Rangers: An MRI on the back of LHP Matt Harrison showed no damage, and he's expected to resume throwing soon. While he's not expected to be ready for opening day, consider this something close to a best-case scenario. Harrison last year underwent a pair of back surgeries during his lost 2013 season. (Evan Grant, Dallas Morning News) ... RHP Colby Lewis (Tommy John surgery, hip replacement) will pitch in an intra-squad game on Tuesday. Lewis has sent regular-season action since July of 2012 and is in camp on a minor-league contract. (T.R. Sullivan, MLB.com)
Our Latest Stories
Jones said USA used Puerto Rico championship shirts and parade plans as motivation for the...
Regarding the impact of the World Baseball Classic, the commish has a few things to say
The fourth installment of the WBC was an overwhelming success
First spring at-bat? No problem. Arrieta goes downtown to the tune of 465
The Yankees seem to be shooting down offers for veteran shortstops across the league
Fans in Puerto Rico are very proud of their players for their WBC effort