All you need to know: MLB rumors and news roundup for Jan. 23
Thursday's hot stove recap can be found within.
On the MLB hot stove front, here's all that's worth knowing for a fairly busy Thursday, Jan. 23 ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Milwaukee Brewers : At this writing, the Brewers and free agent RHP Matt Garza have not yet officially struck a deal. Earlier on Thursday, however, it was believed they had agreed to a four-year, $52-million contract pending the outcome of Garza's physical.
- San Francisco Giants : Avoided arbitration with INF Joaquin Arias by signing him to a two-year, $2.6-million deal.
- Cleveland Indians : Signed reliever David Aardsma to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- Baltimore Orioles : Signed LHP Aaron Laffey to a minor-league contract. The deal does not include an invitation to spring training.
- Tampa Bay Rays : Agreed to terms with closer Grant Balfour on a two-year, $12-million contract.
- Kansas City Royals : Signed RHP Jon Rauch to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- Minnesota Twins : Have agreed to transfer LHP Andrew Albers to the Hanwha Eagles of the Korean Baseball Association. (Steve Adams via Twitter)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Luis Ayala : Our own Jon Heyman tweets that the Detroit Tigers , Indians and Seattle Mariners are among those interested in the veteran reliever Ayala.
- Ervin Santana : Yahoo!'s Jeff Passan tweets that as of last week the free agent Santana was seeking a contract worth roughly $60 million over four years.
- Indians: MLB.com's Jordan Bastian writes that the team hasn't yet decided whether Carlos Santana will man third base this season. He'll get time there this spring.
- Miami Marlins : GM Dan Jennings says the organization has let OF Giancarlo Stanton know that they'd like to sign him to a long-term contract. (Jim Bowden via Twitter)
- New York Mets : RHP Matt Harvey , who's recovering from October Tommy John surgery, says he hopes to return to the mound in September.
- Orioles: The O's are in negotiations with free agent closer Fernando Rodney , reports CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick writes that the Buccos are preparing to enter spring training without A.J. Burnett . Burnett has yet to decide whether he'll pitch in 2014 or retire.
- Boston Red Sox : LHP Jon Lester , who's eligible for free agency after the upcoming season, says he'll be willing to sign a discount contract in order to stay in Boston.
- Tigers: MLB.com's Jason Beck tweets that RHP Max Scherzer , who's eligible for free agency next offseason, is optimistic about working out a new contract with Detroit. He hopes something can get done before spring training, but he won't negotiate during the season.
- New York Yankees : Our own Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees, having blown past the luxury tax threshold, are now taking a serious look at free agent INF Stephen Drew .
Our Latest Stories
Don't run on the field, people. Especially when Angel Pagan is in the house
Not that you thought otherwise, but Miggy's finishing up strong as the Tigers eye the post...
Bruce initially struggled after being traded to the Mets. He's not struggling now
Ortiz's two-run blast gave the Red Sox a 5-3 lead that would hold up, dealing the Blue Jays...
Here's a look at the postseason race standings with three days left in the regular season
GM John Mozeliak says the team probably isn't going to exercise their option on Holliday for...