All you need to know: MLB rumors and news roundup for March 1
Saturday's full hot stove recap -- transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
On the MLB hot stove front, here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, March 9 ...
- In case you missed it, our man in the chopper has the latest on lefty Jon Lester 's prospects of signing an extension with the Boston Red Sox .
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Miami Marlins : Have given RHP Jose Fernandez a $635,000 contract for 2014. That's $135,000 more than the MLB minimum and a nice sum for a second-year player. (Juan C. Rodriguez via Twitter)
- Detroit Tigers : The team announced that eight arbitration-eligible players have come to terms on contracts for 2014. Those players include reliever Bruce Rondon and catcher Bryan Holaday .
- Chicago White Sox : The Sox have agreed to one-year contracts with a total of 24 arbitration-eligible players. The list of players includes OF Avisail Garcia and LHP Jose Quintana . (Daryl Van Schouwen via Twitter)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Houston Astros : Houston received plenty of calls on arbitration-eligible catcher Jason Castro this offseason, but the organization decided against trading him. "We take all of those elements into account, and we really feel he's a player we can't be without at this point," GM Jeff Luhnow told MLB.com's Brian McTaggart.
- Tampa Bay Rays : MGR Joe Maddon says Ryan Hanigan , and not Jose Molina , will be the team's primary catcher in 2014. ( Joe Smith via Twitter)
- Minnesota Twins : A source tells Darren Wolfson of ESPN 1500 that the Twins may have interest in free agent lefty Joe Saunders .
- Toronto Blue Jays : Closer Casey Janssen will likely miss the next handful of games because of a sore shoulder. (Arden Zwelling via Twitter)
- Atlanta Braves : OF Justin Upton (sore muscle in right side) is hoping to make his spring debut on Sunday. (Carroll Rogers, Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- St. Louis Cardinals : CL Trevor Rosenthal (groin) is now able to lift weights and should be back on the mound soon. (Derrick Goold via Twitter)
- New York Mets : Reliever Bobby Parnell (neck surgery) faced hitters on Saturday for the first time since July. He says he'll be ready for opening day. (Adam Rubin, ESPN New York)
- Philadelphia Phillies : Lefty Cole Hamels (shoulder) is ready to face hitters after a second clean bullpen session on Saturday. (Todd Zolecki, MLB.com) ... RHP Ethan Martin will be shut down for at least three weeks with a strained right shoulder capsule. (Matt Gelb via Twitter)
- Texas Rangers : SS Elvis Andrus will take it easy for the next few days because of tendinitis in his throwing forearm. (Richard Durrett via Twitter)
- Rays: 2B Ben Zobrist (back) will likely make his spring debut on Monday or Tuesday. (Joe Smith via Twitter)
- Cincinnati Reds : RHP Mike Leake was scratched from his scheduled Sunday start because of an abdominal strain. (Mark Sheldon, MLB.com)
- Twins: 3B prospect Miguel Sano will soon undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the entirety of the 2014 season.
Our Latest Stories
Fernandez was jailed three times for trying to defect
Autopsies will confirm but there's no reason to believe substances were the cause of the a...
Fernandez was killed in a boating accident early Sunday morning. He was 24
Fernandez was 24 years old
The two met earlier this season when Ledecky threw out a ceremonial first pitch
The 2015 NL MVP wasn't nearly as good in 2016, but the team around him was much better