All you need to know: MLB rumors and news roundup for March 1
Saturday's full hot stove recap -- transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
On the MLB hot stove front, here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, March 9 ...
- In case you missed it, our man in the chopper has the latest on lefty Jon Lester 's prospects of signing an extension with the Boston Red Sox .
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Detroit Tigers : The team announced that eight arbitration-eligible players have come to terms on contracts for 2014. Those players include reliever Bruce Rondon and catcher Bryan Holaday .
- Chicago White Sox : The Sox have agreed to one-year contracts with a total of 24 arbitration-eligible players. The list of players includes OF Avisail Garcia and LHP Jose Quintana . (Daryl Van Schouwen via Twitter)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Houston Astros : Houston received plenty of calls on arbitration-eligible catcher Jason Castro this offseason, but the organization decided against trading him. "We take all of those elements into account, and we really feel he's a player we can't be without at this point," GM Jeff Luhnow told MLB.com's Brian McTaggart.
- Tampa Bay Rays : MGR Joe Maddon says Ryan Hanigan , and not Jose Molina , will be the team's primary catcher in 2014. ( Joe Smith via Twitter)
- Minnesota Twins : A source tells Darren Wolfson of ESPN 1500 that the Twins may have interest in free agent lefty Joe Saunders .
- Toronto Blue Jays : Closer Casey Janssen will likely miss the next handful of games because of a sore shoulder. (Arden Zwelling via Twitter)
- Atlanta Braves : OF Justin Upton (sore muscle in right side) is hoping to make his spring debut on Sunday. (Carroll Rogers, Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- St. Louis Cardinals : CL Trevor Rosenthal (groin) is now able to lift weights and should be back on the mound soon. (Derrick Goold via Twitter)
- New York Mets : Reliever Bobby Parnell (neck surgery) faced hitters on Saturday for the first time since July. He says he'll be ready for opening day. (Adam Rubin, ESPN New York)
- Philadelphia Phillies : Lefty Cole Hamels (shoulder) is ready to face hitters after a second clean bullpen session on Saturday. (Todd Zolecki, MLB.com) ... RHP Ethan Martin will be shut down for at least three weeks with a strained right shoulder capsule. (Matt Gelb via Twitter)
- Texas Rangers : SS Elvis Andrus will take it easy for the next few days because of tendinitis in his throwing forearm. (Richard Durrett via Twitter)
- Rays: 2B Ben Zobrist (back) will likely make his spring debut on Monday or Tuesday. (Joe Smith via Twitter)
- Cincinnati Reds : RHP Mike Leake was scratched from his scheduled Sunday start because of an abdominal strain. (Mark Sheldon, MLB.com)
- Twins: 3B prospect Miguel Sano will soon undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the entirety of the 2014 season.