All you need to know: MLB rumors, news roundup for Jan. 6
Here's the hot stove roundup for Monday.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, Jan. 6, insofar as hot stove news and rumors are concerned ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Cleveland Indians : Signed OF Jeff Francoeur to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training ... Also signed RHP Scott Atchison to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
- Seattle Mariners : Signed C Humberto Quintero to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
- New York Mets : Signed C Taylor Teagarden to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : Signed OF Chris Dickerson to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Chris Capuano : The lefty is seeking a two-year deal this offseason, tweets Buster Olney.
- Los Angeles Angels : The Halos are going to pursue free agent RHP Masahiro Tanaka, but, as Jeff Fletcher tweets, they're likely not among the favorites to land him.
- St. Louis Cardinals : Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that the Cards have plans to expand their scouting operations in Cuba and Japan.
- Chicago Cubs : RHP Jeff Samardzija says he'd be very unlikely to sign a contract extension with a new team, should the Cubs opt to trade him. (Patrick Mooney, CSN Chicago)
- Mariners: The M's reportedly must get approval from ownership before they hand out any more major-league contracts of consequence.
- Mets: According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the Mets remain interested in free agent SS Stephen Drew ... Earlier this offseason, the Mets kicked the tires on Jerome Williams , but they haven't shown much interest in the right-hander since signing Bartolo Colon . (Anthony DiComo via Twitter)
- Baltimore Orioles : ESPN.com's Buster Olney tweets that the Orioles are interested in free agent right-hander Bronson Arroyo .
- Boston Red Sox : The Sox are looking to acquire outfield depth and to that end may be considering bringing Scott Podsednik out of retirement, reports Jason Mastrodonato of MassLive.com ... WEEI's Alex Speier writes the Red Sox after the 2014 season will have almost $100 million in payroll coming off the books.
- Cincinnati Reds : The Reds want to sign RHP Homer Bailey -- he of the two no-hitters -- to a long-term contract; however, GM Walt Jocketty thinks that may be a challenge, given the team's budgetary constraints and given the market for young(ish) starting pitching these days. Bailey is eligible for free agency following the 2015 season. (Mark Sheldon, MLB.com)
- Minnesota Twins : Sources tell Andy Martino of the New York Daily News that signing LHP Johan Santana is "a real possibility" for the Twins. Santana, of course, previously won two Cy Youngs in Minnesota.
Our Latest Stories
With the Nationals take the NL East again, or will the Mets steal it? Or will someone shock...
The deal buys out Odor's first two years of free agency
The retired slugger told some Miami students as much
The 24-year-old infielder is coming off a breakout 2016 season
A potential base-running blunder by Yankees outfielder Aaron Hicks turns into a master act...
The Detroit slugger will open the season on the disabled list