All you need to know: MLB rumors, news roundup for Jan. 7
Here's what's worth knowing on the hot stove front for Tuesday.
Forthcoming: All that's worth knowing when it comes to MLB hot stove news and rumors for Tuesday, Jan. 7 ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Andruw Jones: Has re-signed with the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Japan's Pacific League. (Chris Cotillo, SBN)
- Los Angeles Dodgers : Signed manager Don Mattingly to a contract extension on Tuesday. CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reports that the deal will keep Mattingly in the Dodger dugout through the 2016 season.
- San Diego Padres : Signed OF/1B Xavier Nady to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : Signed INF Robert Andino to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- Kansas City Royals : Signed C Ramon Hernandez to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Ike Davis : Milwaukee Brewers GM Doug Melvin says he's had "ongoing" discussions with the New York Mets regarding a trade for a first baseman. That first baseman, of course, is Ike Davis. The two sides have been talking since November, but thus far they haven't struck a deal. (Adam McCalvy, MLB.com)
- Ubaldo Jimenez : Is reportedly still seeking a multi-year contract that will pay him more than $14 million per. (Ken Rosenthal, via Twitter)
- Masahiro Tanaka: The Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox will reportedly meet with Tanaka in Chicago later this week ... According to Jim Bowden, John Schuerholz says the Atlanta Braves are not going to pursue Tanaka ... MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez says it's too soon to count out the Los Angeles Angels as serious contenders for Tanaka's services. They certainly need help in the rotation ... Regarding Tanaka's $20 million posting fee, Ken Rosenthal reports that the new system allows MLB teams to pay it in two annual installments: $13 million the first year and then the remaining $7 million in the second year.
- Cleveland Indians : May have interest in veteran OF/DH Bobby Abreu , age 39, who's attempting a comeback after not playing in MLB last season.
- Baltimore Orioles : Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun name-checks free agents Bronson Arroyo , A.J. Burnett , Bruce Chen and Jason Hammel as possibilities for the O's.
Our Latest Stories
The Red Sox missed an opportunity to clinch the AL East title as well
Here's a look at the postseason race standings with five days left in the regular season
Diaz grew up with Fernandez
Fernandez's family will hold a public viewing on Wednesday
Kluber will be ready to return in 7-10 days
The good news: they were able to find the ring