All you need to know: MLB rumors, news roundup for Jan. 9
Thursday's hot stove recap can be found within.
On the MLB hot stove front, here's all that's worth knowing for Thursday, Jan. 9 ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Washington Nationals : Have signed INF Jamey Carroll to a minor-league contract.
- Tampa Bay Rays : Have signed INF Jayson Nix to a minor-league contract.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Masahiro Tanaka: CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reports that the coveted Japanese right-hander was in Los Angeles Thursday for a physical and to meet with certain interested teams. Heyman writes that the New York Yankees , Chicago Cubs , Toronto Blue Jays , Chicago White Sox , Los Angeles Dodgers and Arizona Diamondbacks . As well, the Seattle Mariners , Los Angeles Angels , Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers may have some interest in the 25-year-old ace ... Elsewhere, the Boston Red Sox , tweets Alex Speier, have been in touch with Tanaka's agent, Casey Close, but have not yet met with him ... As for the Houston Astros , according to Evan Drellich they're not likely to sign Tanaka.
- Mariners: Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa is reportedly a candidate to become the next president of the Mariners.
- New York Mets : Regarding those ubiquitous Ike Davis trade rumors, GM Sandy Alderson tells MLB.com's Anthony DiComo that he's "not that actively engaged" in trying to move Davis right now.
- Baltimore Orioles : Buck Showalter says he still expects 3B Manny Machado (knee) to be ready by opening day. (Roch Kubatko via Twitter)
- Pittsburgh Pirates : Pitching coach Ray Searage says he's preparing for the 2014 season as though RHP A.J. Burnett is going to retire.
- Red Sox: Alex Speier tweets that although GM Ben Cherington has been in regular contact with free agent SS Stephen Drew , they haven't spoken since the holidays.
- Detroit Tigers : RHP Justin Verlander underwent core muscle surgery on Thursday, but he's expected to be recovered in time to participate in spring training.
- Yankees: Alex Rodriguez , who's currently waiting for an arbitrator to rule on his 211-game Biogenesis-related suspension, may seek an injunction if the final verdict isn't to his liking ... Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger writes that the Yankees may have some interest in rehabbing lefty Johan Santana .
Our Latest Stories
Don't run on the field, people. Especially when Angel Pagan is in the house
Not that you thought otherwise, but Miggy's finishing up strong as the Tigers eye the post...
Bruce initially struggled after being traded to the Mets. He's not struggling now
Ortiz's two-run blast gave the Red Sox a 5-3 lead that would hold up, dealing the Blue Jays...
Here's a look at the postseason race standings with three days left in the regular season
GM John Mozeliak says the team probably isn't going to exercise their option on Holliday for...