All you need to know: MLB rumors, news roundup for Nov. 26
A minor trade headlined Tuesday's offseason action as the hot stove prepares to cool down during the Thanksgiving holiday.
For the day's hot stove news, the first place to go is Jon Heyman's blog. He has updates on C Jarrod Saltalamacchia , 3B Chase Headley , OF Nelson Cruz , the Minnesota Twins ' search for pitching and the New York Mets ' pursuit of outfielders. They called the Milwaukee Brewers about OF Ryan Braun . Now here's a round up of the rest of the day's news.
• Chicago Cubs : Acquired C George Kottaras from the Kansas City Royals for cash considerations. He's the favorite to back up C Welington Castillo at this point.
• Pittsburgh Pirates : Signed both RHP Cody Eppley and C Nevin Ashley to minor league contracts with invitations to spring training, the team announced.
• LHP Jose Mijares : Outrighted off the 40-man roster by the San Francisco Giants to clear a roster spot for fellow LHP Javier Lopez , whose three-year contract is official. Mijares elected free agency. (Mercury News)
• Cincinnati Reds : Designated OF Derrick Robinson for assignment. The move clears a 40-man roster spot for UTIL Skip Schumaker , whose two-year contract is not official. (Cincinnati Enquirer)
RUMORS & SPECULATION
• Miami Marlins : Discussed 1B Mike Napoli internally. He is a South Florida native, but it's hard to think Miami will field a competitive offer given all the interest around the league. (Fox Sports)
• Baltimore Orioles : Consider 2B Mark Ellis an option, but they've yet to reach out to him. Baltimore needs a second baseman now that Brian Roberts ' contract is expired. (MASNSports.com)
• Tampa Bay Rays : Have interest in 1B Mitch Moreland . The Texas Rangers could make their incumbent first baseman available in a trade now that they've acquired Prince Fielder . (New York Daily News)
• Reds: Have interest in OF Carlos Beltran . The AL figures to be a better fit for the 36-year-old with bad knees, but Cincinnati would give Beltran a good chance at a World Series title. (Primera Hora)
• Twins: One of five teams with interest in C Dioner Navarro . Joe Mauer is moving to first base full-time starting next season, so the club needs a replacement catcher. (St. Paul Pioneer Press)
• New York Yankees : Met with representatives for 2B Robinson Cano . It's unclear if the two sides made any progress, but there is said to be a substantial gap in contract talks.