All you need to know: MLB rumors, news roundup for Nov. 27
A major free agent came off the board on Wednesday. Here's a recap of the day's hot stove news.
Baseball's hot stove is about to take a little break for the Thanksgiving holiday. There will still be rumors and whatnot, but actual transactions figure to be on hold until next week. One team did manage to sneak in one last major pre-holiday signing on Wednesday, however.
Before we get to today's recap, make sure you head over the Jon Heyman's blog. He reported that LHP Manny Parra re-upped with the Cincinnati Reds on a two-year contract. Here is the rest of Wednesday's action.
• Minnesota Twins : Agreed to sign RHP Ricky Nolasco to a four-year contract worth $49 million with a $13 million option ($1 million buyout) for a fifth year. The option can vest based on innings pitched from 2016-17. It's the largest free agent contract in team history.
• Los Angeles Angels : Designated RHP Juan Gutierrez for assignment, the team announced. The move clears a 40-man roster spot for RHP Joe Smith , whose three-year contract is now official.
• Texas Rangers : Claimed OF Rafael Ortega from the Colorado Rockies , the team announced. The 22-year-old hit only .228/.315/.297 in 42 Double-A games this past season.
• LHP Ted Lilly: Retired from baseball at age 37. He went 130-113 with a 4.14 ERA in parts of 15 big league seasons.
RUMORS & SPECULATION
• Chicago Cubs : There's a "99 percent" chance they will trade RHP Jeff Samardzija . The Arizona Diamondbacks , Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays have been the most aggressive suitors.
• Diamondbacks: They will not hand out any big contracts to players with ties to performance-enhancing drugs. OF Nelson Cruz is the most notable available free agent with a PED stain.
• Orioles: Willing to listen to offers for RHP Jim Johnson . They're facing a payroll crunch this winter and their closer is projected to earn $10 million or so in 2014.
• New York Yankees : Met with Robinson Cano 's camp for the third straight day. The two sides are still far apart but Cano's demands have come down "very slightly."
It came in a tight spot against the Cubs on Friday night
The Louisville Bats know how to make the best of a bad situation
He hit his 10th of the season against the Orioles on Friday night
A familiar face is headed back to Toronto
The decorated gymnast was on hand to throw out the first pitch on Friday
It has to do with their performance before the All-Star break and their very different performance...