Carlos Marmol abuse case headed to higher court
The domestic-abuse case against Carlos Marmol is being sent to a higher court in the Dominican Republic. Back in Chicago, Cubs exec Theo Epstein says he expects the matter to be behind Marmol very soon.
|Cubs closer Carlos Marmol is still facing legal challenges in his native Dominican Republic. (Getty Images)|
Marmol, through his attorney, continues to maintain his innocence, and police charges have apparently not yet been filed. However, the accuser's attorneys have requested that Marmol be barred from leaving the country until the case is settled.
Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Esptein had this to say to Sullivan about the status of his 30-year-old closer:
"We take any accusation of this nature seriously. All the information we could gather supports Carlos' contention that he is innocent of any wrongdoing. We expect this matter to be behind him soon."
Cubs pitchers and catchers report to spring training on Monday, and Marmol's agent says his client will be there on time.
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.
Our Latest Stories
Ventura was tragically killed in a car crash last month
The commemorative gloves come courtesy of Wilson
Poche threw LSU's first individual no-hitter since 1979 last weekend
Party on Brett. Party on Josh
Jay Bruce is going to start taking ground balls at first base
Agent Scott Boras confirmed this offseason Harper played through 'an issue' last year