David Ortiz shut down for 5-7 days, says opening day in doubt
Red Sox slugger David Ortiz has been shut down for 5-7 days with inflammation in both heels. The team acknowledged he may not be ready for opening day.
David Ortiz's season ended last year in August due to a strained Achilles, and this spring he's been limited by inflammation. The results of his latest MRI are in:
MRI shows inflammation in both heels for Ortiz. Red Sox will shut him down for 5-7 days and acknowledge that opener now in jeopardy.— Sean McAdam(@Sean_McAdam) March 10, 2013
Monday, Ortiz himself told reporters he believes opening day is in doubt (Boston Globe via Twitter).
Ortiz, 37, hit .318/.415/.611 with 23 homers last season before the Achilles problem first popped up in July. He's their only big left-handed hitter -- unless Jacoby Ellsbury reverts to his 2011 form -- and would leave a massive hole in Boston's lineup if he's unavailable for the start of the season.
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.