EOB Podcast: Advanced stats primer
Want to learn more about advanced stats witout having to read through complicated formulas? We take a look at some of the most important advanced stats and concepts, and explain how they can be utilized.
Want to learn more about advanced stats witout having to read through complicated formulas? Hopefully, Jack Moore and I have you covered in this episode of the podcast. We take a look at some of the most important advanced stats and concepts, and explain how they can be utilized.
- From the beginning: Jack discusses how he first got into advanced stats. We both offer up some recommended reading on the subject.
- 6:15: We start with some of the key offensive stats we use in player evaluation. We start with batting average on balls in play (BABIP). We also cover strikeout and walk rates, isolated slugging (ISO), weighted on-base average (wOBA) and everyone's favorite stat, wins above replacement (WAR).
- 30:30: One of the most debated parts of WAR are the defensive numbers. How should ultimate zone rating (UZR) be used, and why are they somewhat controversial?
- 34:15: We take on a few pitching stats. Why are ground ball rates so important? What's the difference between fielding independent pitching (FIP) and xFIP.
- 47:45: We briefly discuss PITCH f/x and talk about what it does. We also recommend some places to go if you're interested in digging into the pitch data.
- If you enjoyed this podcast and want more information on stats or want links to places where you can learn more, don't hesitate to contact Jack and me on Twitter.
- You can listen to the podcast in our popout player, which can be found here.
- We would also encourage you to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes and be sure to let us know what you think.
- This episode of the podcast runs a little more than 50 minutes.