Jon Lester confident extension with Red Sox is coming soon
Jon Lester is entering the final year of his contract with the defending champion Red Sox, but it still doesn't sound like he'll end up hitting free agency.
Lester and the Red Sox have been said for weeks to prefer an opening day deadline for an agreement on an extension to be in place, but there's been enough progress that Lester himself doesn't even think that needs to remain a hard deadline.
"Like I said last week, I think if we're close, both sides have agreed we're not just going to end something just to end something because it's Opening Day," said Lester (MLB.com). "If we're close, yeah, we'll carry it over. I don't think that's a distraction. But I feel like if things are nowhere near being done, yeah, that's a good thing for both sides. You can come out and say what needs to be said about it and put it on the back burner and worry about playing baseball then."
Lester also expressed optimism that an extension would be done in the near future, just as general manager Ben Cherington has done recently.
Basically, Lester is going to be extended by the Red Sox and it's only a matter of time.
Lester, 30, was 15-8 with a 3.75 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 177 strikeouts in 213 1/3 innings for the World Series champion Red Sox last season. He was 4-1 with a 1.56 ERA in the postseason and he's now carried that success over into the spring, as he has a 0.71 ERA in 12 2/3 innings.
If Lester is removed from the free agent pitching market, the top four starters stand to be Max Scherzer, James Shields, Ervin Santana and Justin Masterson.
It came in a tight spot against the Cubs on Friday night
The Louisville Bats know how to make the best of a bad situation
He hit his 10th of the season against the Orioles on Friday night
A familiar face is headed back to Toronto
The decorated gymnast was on hand to throw out the first pitch on Friday
It has to do with their performance before the All-Star break and their very different performance...