MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for April 14
Monday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, April 14 (click here for today's scores) ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Padres: Have agreed to a six-year, $35-million contract extension with 2B Jedd Gyorko .
- White Sox: Have signed RHP Frank Francisco to a minor-league contract.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Diamondbacks: RHP Trevor Cahill (9.17 ERA) has been moved to the bullpen. Mike Bolsinger has been called up and will make his MLB debut Saturday against the Rockies. (Jack Magruder via Twitter)
- Yankees: A source tells Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that there's no chance the Yankees will address their infield problems by signing Stephen Drew or Kendrys Morales .
- Blue Jays: INF Maicer Izturis , after a second opinion, will have surgery to repair a torn knee ligament. He's likely to miss the next four to six months.
- Braves: David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that LHP Mike Minor (shoulder) is tentatively scheduled to rejoin the rotation against the Marlins on April 23 or the Reds on April 25, assuming all goes well with his final minor-league rehab start. Minor is coming off a 2013 season in which he pitched to a 3.21 ERA (121 ERA+) in 204 2/3 innings pitched ... O'Brien also writes that RHP Gavin Floyd (Tommy John surgery) is about two weeks away from being activated ... CL Craig Kimbrel is day-to-day with a sore shoulder (Kevin McAlpin via Twitter).
- Dodgers: LHP Clayton Kershaw (back) threw 15 fastballs at less than max effort from a bullpen mound on Monday. There's still no timetable for his return. (Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times)
- Marlins: 2B Rafael Furcal (hamstring) began a minor-league rehab assignment on Monday. He won't be activated before May 6. (Manny Navarro, Miami Herald)
- Phillies: RHP A.J. Burnett has an inguinal hernia, which will eventually require surgery, but he's going to attempt to pitch through this season before undergoing that surgery. (Matt Gelb, Philadelphia Inquirer)
- Rangers: 3B Adrian Beltre (quad) has been placed on the 15-day DL, but Beltre is reportedly unhappy with that decision.
- Rays: LHP Matt Moore has decided to undergo Tommy John surgery and will miss the remainder of the 2014 season.
- Reds: CL Aroldis Chapman threw from a mound for the first time since being struck in the face by a line drive late in spring training. He'll throw additional bullpen sessions before progressing to the next step in his recovery. (Mark Sheldon, MLB.com)