MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for Aug. 16
Saturday's MLB recap -- including updates on Grady Sizemore, Carlos Rodon, Kris Bryant, Masahiro Tanaka and more -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, Aug. 16 (click here for today's scores) …
- Milwaukee Brewers : RHP Kyle Lohse will miss his next scheduled start because of a sprained right ankle.
- Chicago Cubs : 3B prospect Kris Bryant is set for an MRI on his injured left foot/toe. Initial X-rays were inconclusive.
- Los Angeles Dodgers : Placed 3B Juan Uribe on the DL with a right hamstring strain.
- Miami Marlins : Activated RHP Henderson Alvarez (shoulder) from the the DL on Saturday. He responded by allowing one run in seven innings of work against the Philadelphia Phillies .
- Cincinnati Reds : As expected, the Reds placed RHP Homer Bailey on the DL with a flexor mass strain.
- Colorado Rockies : Activated OF Michael Cuddyer (shoulder) from the DL.
- Chicago White Sox : Activated OF Avisail Garcia (shoulder) from the DL on Saturday.
- New York Yankees : RHP Masahiro Tanaka reported feeling "very good" after throwing from a mound for the first time since being sidelined with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament ... MGR Joe Girardi says RHP Andrew Bailey, because of setbacks, isn't expected to pitch for the Yankees this season. (Mark Feinsand via Twitter)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Atlanta Braves : Signed INF Donnie Murphy to a minor-league contract.
- Cubs: SS Starlin Castro s says he wants to stay with the Cubs despite the seeming glut of promising young infielders. As CSN Chicago's Patrick Mooney notes, the New York Mets are thought to covet Castro or perhaps another of the Cubs' shortstops. Speaking of the Cubs' shortstop situation, two insiders tell Jorge Arangure of the New York Times that Addison Russell is the favorite to stick at the position on a permanent basis.
- Phillies: GM Ruben Amaro says it's "very possible" that the team will look to bring back veteran OF Grady Sizemore for 2015. (Todd Zolecki, MLB.com)
- Detroit Tigers : Will purchase the contract of RHP Jim Johnson on Sunday. (Jason Beck via Twitter)
- White Sox: Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune tweets that LHP Carlos Rodon, the third overall pick of the June MLB draft, will be promoted to Triple-A and make his first start at that level on Tuesday.
Our Latest Stories
Raisel Iglesias hurt his elbow and hips taking a misstep in the shower
Forbes has named Cubs executive Theo Epstein the world's greatest leader
Kinsler seemed to disparage players from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic for showing...
From Adam Jones' catch to Jose Bautista's throw. Here are the best moments of the 2017 WBC
What makes a successful Phillies season? First off, the youngsters need to keep progressin...
How a chance trip to the WBC championship game turned me from skeptic to believer