MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for Aug. 21
Thursday's MLB recap -- including updates on Masahiro Tanaka, Rusney Castillo, Michael Cuddyer, Yan Gomes, Garrett Richards, -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, Aug. 4 (click here for today's scores) …
- Our MLB insider writes on the possibility that Detroit Tigers RHP Justin Verlander could fill a bullpen role should Detroit make the playoffs.
- Los Angeles Angels , Chicago White Sox : The Angels on Thursday acquired INF Gordon Beckham from the White Sox in exchange for a player to be named later and cash considerations.
- Angels: RHP Garrett Richards will undergo surgery to repair the patellar tendon in his left knee and miss the next six to nine months.
- Chicago Cubs : Placed RHP Edwin Jackson on the DL with a strained lat.
- Cleveland Indians : C Yan Gomes was forced to leave Thursday's game with concussion-like symptoms after taking a foul ball off the mask. (Jordan Bastian, MLB.com)
- Washington Nationals : According to MGR Matt Williams, 3B/OF Ryan Zimmerman (hamstring) is expected to return to the active roster at some point in September. (Mark Zuckerman, CSN Washington)
- San Diego Padres : RHP Joaquin Benoit (shoulder soreness) is expected to avoid going on the DL. (Dennis Lin, San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Boston Red Sox : Activated OF Allen Craig (foot/ankle) from the DL on Thursday.
- Colorado Rockies : OF Michael Cuddyer , according to Ken Rosenthal, was put on revocable waivers over the weekend. However, the Rockies were forced to pull him back because of hamstring issues. He's now ineligible to traded during the waiver period.
- Kansas City Royals : An MRI on the sore right knee of C Salvador Perez revealed no structural damage. (Andy McCullough, Kansas City Star)
- Tigers: RHP Justin Verlander (shoulder) expects to avoid the DL for the time being and make his next start on Saturday. (David Adler, MLB.com) ... 1B Miguel Cabrera aggravated a right ankle injury on Wednesday night. (James Schmehl via Twitter)
- New York Yankees : RHP Masahiro Tanaka (elbow) on Saturday will face hitters for the first time since being placed on the disabled list with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Red Sox, Tigers: Sources tell Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that the Tigers and Red Sox are emerging as the frontrunners to sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo. Earlier this week, our own Jon Heyman named the Red Sox and Tigers as potential suitors, in addition to the San Francisco Giants , Philadelphia Phillies , Seattle Mariners , Yankees and Cubs.