MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for Aug. 22
Saturday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Friday, Aug. 22 (click here for today's scores) …
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Boston Red Sox : Are wrapping up a seven-year, $72.5-million contract with Cuban OF Rusney Castillo.
- Los Angeles Angels : As planned, RHP Garrett Richards underwent surgery on Friday to repair the patellar tendon in his left knee. He's facing a recovery period of six to nine months. (Angels official Twitter)
- Oakland Athletics : Activated OF Craig Gentry (hand) from the DL.
- Milwaukee Brewers : RHP Kyle Lohse (ankle) will rejoin the rotation on Monday and face the San Diego Padres .
- Baltimore Orioles : 3B Manny Machado (sprained right knee) is reportedly headed for season-ending surgery.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Brady Aiken: There's talk that LHP Brady Aiken, the top overall pick of the June draft whom the Houston Astros were unable to sign, may be headed to junior college. (Jim Callis via Twitter)
- Angels: According to Peter Gammons, the Angels may have trouble finding a starting pitcher during the waiver period because the Orioles and New York Yankees and are looking to block any players that fall to them. Gammons also tweets that the Angels have interest in Bartolo Colon and or Scott Feldman , but neither has been placed on waivers as of this writing.
- Los Angeles Dodgers : Are reportedly moving their Triple-A affiliate from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City in time for next season. (Michael Baldwin, the Oklahoman)
- San Francisco Giants : MGR Bruce Bochy says there are no plans to move Buster Posey off catcher in the near future. (Andrew Baggarly, CSN Bay Area)
- Minnesota Twins : The job of MGR Ron Gardenhire is reportedly safe for 2015.