MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for August 1
Friday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Friday, August 1 (click here for today's scores) …
- Our MLB insider has a thorough look at which players could be traded during the August waiver period.
- Los Angeles Angels : Placed LHP Tyler Skaggs on the DL with a flexor tendon strain.
- Toronto Blue Jays : 3B Brett Lawrie (broken finger) began a minor-league rehab assignment on Friday. Likely, it'll be at least a week before Lawrie comes off the DL.
- Milwaukee Brewers : RHP Jimmy Nelson has been scratched from his scheduled Saturday start because of a blister.
- Arizona Diamondbacks : 1B Paul Goldschmidt was struck on the hand by a pitch on Friday night and will be further evaluated on Saturday. (Jack Magruder via Twitter)
- Los Angeles Dodgers : The Dodgers received a scare Friday night when OF Yasiel Puig was forced to leave the game because of what the team later called "mild hamstring soreness." As with all hamstring situations, though, this one bears monitoring. Puig this season is an NL MVP candidate, what with his batting line of .319/.405/.551 in 434 plate appearances.
- San Francisco Giants : RHP Matt Cain needs surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow, but he's going to try to pitch through it for now.
- Seattle Mariners : LHP James Paxton (shoulder) is slated to come off the DL on Saturday and start against the Baltimore Orioles .
- New York Mets : RHP Matt Harvey on Friday threw from a mound for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery last October.
- Texas Rangers : The team has acknowledged that 2B Jurickson Profar (shoulder) will not play this season, as was expected to be the case. (Calvin Watkins, ESPN Dallas)
- Colorado Rockies : OF Carlos Gonzalez was forced to leave Friday night's game after re-aggravating his right ankle sprain.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Oakland Athletics : Released RP Jim Johnson , which means they'll be on the hook for the remainder of his $10-million salary for this season.
- St. Louis Cardinals : RHP John Lackey says he'll honor his contract and pitch for the league-minimum salary of $500,000 in 2015.
- Orioles: Signed LHP Joe Saunders to a minor-league contract.
- Boston Red Sox : Designated OF Mike Carp for assignment. Per MLB rules, the team now has 10 days to trade, release or waive him.
Our Latest Stories
The Giants legend is 52
The franchise catcher is in his walk year, and two sides appear open to a contract extensi...
The good news is that an MRI showed no structural damage
He was re-assigned to minor league camp on Sunday
Brian Havrilla has done important work
Young Brody Chernoff, son of Mike Chernoff, was a guest in the Indians' radio booth recently,...