MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for August 10
Today's installment includes news on Andrew McCutchen, Allen Craig, Alex Rios, Jacob deGrom, Tyler Skaggs and others.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, Aug. 4 (click here for today's scores) …
- Los Angeles Angels : LHP Tyler Skaggs is set for Tommy John surgery and will miss the remainder of the 2014 season and perhaps all of 2015.
- Los Angeles Dodgers : Placed SS Hanley Ramirez on the DL with a strained oblique.
- Cleveland Indians : Placed 1B Nick Swisher (knee) and OF David Murphy (side/abdomen) on the DL.
- New York Mets : RHP Jenrry Mejia has a hernia but wants to put off surgery until after the season. (Adam Rubin via Twitter) ... RHP Jacob deGrom has shoulder soreness and is headed back to New York for further examination. (Mike Puma via Twitter)
- Pittsburgh Pirates : OF Andrew McCutchen (avulsion rib fracture) still doesn't have a clear time-table for his return to the lineup. However, as Rob Biertempfel tweets, GM Neal Huntington characterizes McCutchen's progress as "remarkable." The Pirates are hoping to avoid making a roster move, but McCutchen hasn't played since Aug. 3. Per Bill Brink's tweet, much will be determined by how McCutchen responds when he swings the bat at full speed and effort.
- Texas Rangers : OF Alex Rios was forced to leave Sunday's game after apparently reinjuring his right ankle. He'll be re-evaluated on Monday.
- Boston Red Sox : OF Allen Craig (ankle) could come off the DL when first eligible later this month. (Peter Abraham, Boston Globe)
- Colorado Rockies : LHP Brett Anderson has a bulging disk in his back and is likely done for the rest of the season. (Thomas Harding via Twitter) ... Have placed OF Carlos Gonzalez on the DL with knee and ankle injuries.
- Detroit Tigers : Placed RHPs Anibal Sanchez (pectoral muscle) and Joakim Soria (oblique) on the DL.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Philadelphia Phillies : Claimed RHP Jerome Williams off waivers from the Rangers.
- Pirates: Claimed INF Tommy Field off waivers from the Angels.
Four players are expected to head back to the Brewers for the All-Star catcher
Colin Rea left with an elbow injury during his first start with the Marlins
The Twins youngster can really make things happen with his legs
Only seven of the 13 players haven't been moved since the deal
The Royals closer is heading back to Kansas City for tests
The Braves and Padres both get rid of Hector Olivera on the same night