MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for August 11
Monday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, Aug. 4 (click here for today's scores) …
- Atlanta Braves : SS Andrelton Simmons , who's been sidelined since Aug. 5 with an ankle sprain, is much improved and figures to return to the lineup by Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. (Mark Bowman, MLB.com)
- New York Mets : Have placed RHP Jacob deGrom on the DL with tendinitis of the rotator cuff.
- Baltimore Orioles : 3B Manny Machado left Monday night's game with a sprained right knee. He'll be further evaluated on Tuesday.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : Have placed OF Andrew McCutchen on the DL with an avulsion rib fracture. The move was made retroactive to Aug. 4.
- Texas Rangers : An MRI revealed that Alex Rios has an ankle sprain, and he could be back in the lineup on Tuesday. (Anthony Andro via Twitter)
- Colorado Rockies : LHP Brett Anderson will undergo surgery on Thursday to repair a bulging disk in his back. He's expected to need five months to recover. (Thomas Harding, MLB.com)
- Detroit Tigers : RHP Justin Verlander was forced to exit his Monday night start after one inning because of shoulder soreness.
- Minnesota Twins : After missing more than a month with an oblique injury, 1B Joe Mauer returned to the lineup on Monday and went 2-for-4.
- New York Yankees : RHP Michael Pineda (shoulder) will start against the Orioles on Wednesday.
- Kansas City Royals , Twins: KC acquired OF Josh Willingham from the Twins in exchange for minor-league RHP Jason Adam.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Mets: May not call up highly touted RHP Noah Syndergaard once the rosters expand in September. (Adam Rubin, ESPN New York)
- San Diego Padres : Have called up prospect Rymer Liriano and designated Jeff Francoeur for assignment.
- Twins: Top prospect OF Byron Buxton has been promoted to Double-A New Britain. (Ashley Marshall, MiLB.com)