MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for August 11
Monday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, Aug. 4 (click here for today's scores) …
- Atlanta Braves : SS Andrelton Simmons , who's been sidelined since Aug. 5 with an ankle sprain, is much improved and figures to return to the lineup by Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. (Mark Bowman, MLB.com)
- New York Mets : Have placed RHP Jacob deGrom on the DL with tendinitis of the rotator cuff.
- Baltimore Orioles : 3B Manny Machado left Monday night's game with a sprained right knee. He'll be further evaluated on Tuesday.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : Have placed OF Andrew McCutchen on the DL with an avulsion rib fracture. The move was made retroactive to Aug. 4.
- Texas Rangers : An MRI revealed that Alex Rios has an ankle sprain, and he could be back in the lineup on Tuesday. (Anthony Andro via Twitter)
- Colorado Rockies : LHP Brett Anderson will undergo surgery on Thursday to repair a bulging disk in his back. He's expected to need five months to recover. (Thomas Harding, MLB.com)
- Detroit Tigers : RHP Justin Verlander was forced to exit his Monday night start after one inning because of shoulder soreness.
- Minnesota Twins : After missing more than a month with an oblique injury, 1B Joe Mauer returned to the lineup on Monday and went 2-for-4.
- New York Yankees : RHP Michael Pineda (shoulder) will start against the Orioles on Wednesday.
- Kansas City Royals , Twins: KC acquired OF Josh Willingham from the Twins in exchange for minor-league RHP Jason Adam.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Mets: May not call up highly touted RHP Noah Syndergaard once the rosters expand in September. (Adam Rubin, ESPN New York)
- San Diego Padres : Have called up prospect Rymer Liriano and designated Jeff Francoeur for assignment.
- Twins: Top prospect OF Byron Buxton has been promoted to Double-A New Britain. (Ashley Marshall, MiLB.com)
The Yankees are trying things
The two hit kings are taking a few swings off the field
Hill has made just two full starts since May 29, so scouts haven't seem much of him
Many of their numbers are nearly identical
The Nationals are willing to trade Giolito for Miller straight up, according to an MLB.com...
The Nationals solved their leadoff hitter problem without making a trade by calling up Trea...