MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for August 12
Saturday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, Aug. 4 (click here for today's scores) …
- Houston Astros : OF Dexter Fowler (intercostal strain) is set to be activated from the DL on Wednesday. (Brian McTaggart via Twitter) ... OF George Springer has suffered a setback in his recovery from a quad strain and will be sidelined at least another two weeks. (Brian McTaggart, MLB.com)
- Oakland Athletics : SS Jed Lowrie has been diagnosed with a fractured finger on his right hand. However, he's going to attempt to play through the injury. (Susan Slusser via Twitter)
- Toronto Blue Jays : DH Adam Lind (fractured right foot) was activated from the DL on Tuesday. Elsewhere, 1B Edwin Encarnacion (quad strain) hit a grand slam in a minor-league rehab game on Tuesday night. He's expected to activated from the DL on Friday. Speaking of Encarnacion's slam, here's a look ...
- Washington Nationals : OF Jayson Werth is set to have tests performed on his inflamed right shoulder.
- San Diego Padres : SS Everth Cabrera has been placed on the DL with a strained hamstring.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : RHP Gerrit Cole (lat muscle) will make one more minor-league rehab appearance. After that, it's likely that he'll be activated from the DL. (Travis Sawchik via Twitter)
- Cincinnati Reds : RHP Homer Bailey is having his next start pushed back from Wednesday to Saturday because of elbow stiffness. (Mark Sheldon, MLB.com)
- Detroit Tigers : RHP Justin Verlander has no structural damage in his shoulder and may avoid a trip to the DL.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- MLB may be making plans to schedule a regular season game in Europe.
- Los Angeles Angels : Called up OF Brennan Boesch from Triple-A on Tuesday.
- Chicago Cubs : As Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times writes, RHP Jake Arrieta sounds open to signing a long-term contract extension with the Cubs.