MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for August 5
Tuesday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, Aug. 4 (click here for today's scores) …
- San Diego Padres : Sources tell our MLB insider that Texas Rangers exec A.J. Preller is the pick to become the team's next GM.
- As Heyman has learned, Bud Selig and Chicago White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf aren't seeing eye to eye on the upcoming vote on Selig's successor as MLB commissioner.
- Milwaukee Brewers : Have placed RHP Matt Garza on the DL with a left oblique strain.
- St. Louis Cardinals : RHP Michael Wacha (shoulder) has been cleared to begin a throwing program. There's no time-table for his return to the active roster, but the team believes he'll pitch again this season.
- Padres: RHP Andrew Cashner (shoulder) will begin a minor-league rehab assignment on Friday. (Jeff Sanders via Twitter)
- Pittsburgh Pirates : RHP Gerrit Cole (lat muscle) endured a rough rehab start for Triple-A Indianapolis on Tuesday. In 4 1/3 innings, he gave up five runs on 10 hits, walking one and striking out three (source: Travis Sawchik via Twitter). Cole was scratched from his last schedule rehab start because of a minor setback. At this point, it's not certain when he'll return to the active roster. He hasn't made a start for the Pirates since July 4 ... The Pirates have activated OF Starling Marte from the 7-day concussion DL ... OF Andrew McCutchen has a rib fracture and will miss significant time. However, the Pirates are hoping to avoid a roster move.
- Boston Red Sox : Placed OF/1B Allen Craig on the DL with an injured left ankle ... OF Shane Victorino underwent back surgery on Tuesday. His 2014 season is likely over.
- Minnesota Twins : 1B Joe Mauer (oblique) is likely to be activated next week. (Rhett Bollinger via Twitter)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Cleveland Indians : Released OF Nyjer Morgan .
- Miami Marlins : Designated RHP Jacob Turner for assignment.
- Washington Nationals : Claimed LHP Matt Thornton off waivers from the Yankees.
- Detroit Tigers : Reportedly signed RHP Jim Johnson to a minor-league contract.
- More players will reportedly be named in connection with the Biogenesis PED scandal that rocked baseball in 2013 and 2014.
Our Latest Stories
Kazmir will begin the season on the DL
Tebow struck out twice against Scherzer and got a taste of an elite fastball
It seems unlikely Las Vegas will be atop MLB's list of destinations whenever they expand or...
The Raiders are moving to Las Vegas, but the A's remain committing to staying in Oakland.
Canseco is joining NBC Sports California to provide Athletics coverage this year
Mike Trout played a little prank on the Angels former pitching coach with the help of his...