MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for July 1
Tuesday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Tuesday, July 2 (click here for today's scores) …
- Our MLB insider tweets that the San Diego Padres are getting calls on the availability of Seth Smith , Chris Denorfia , Huston Street and Joaquin Benoit .
- Heyman writes that the Tampa Bay Rays want a load of top Los Angeles Dodgers prospects in exchange for LHP David Price .
- Heyman also has the seven names who are currently candidates to become the Padres' next GM.
- Houston Astros : Placed CF Dexter Fowler on the DL with a ribcage injury.
- San Francisco Giants : CF Angel Pagan , who's presently on the DL, suffered a setback with his lower back injury and will see a specialist on Wednesday. Pagan had been hoping to come off the DL on Tuesday, but now his timetable is uncertain. The Giants could use him back, as the skilled fly-catcher is batting .307/.356/.411 (121 OPS+) on the season. (Andrew Baggarly via Twitter)
- Padres: SS Everth Cabrera has a strained left hamstring and could be headed for the DL. (Dennis Lin, San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Philadelphia Phillies : LHP Cliff Lee (elbow) threw a three-inning simulated game on Wednesday and could be ready to begin a minor-league rehab assignment on Sunday. (Todd Zolecki, MLB.com) ... C Carlos Ruiz (concussion) will not come off the 7-day DL when first eligible on Friday. The team says his concussion is somewhat more serious than initially believed. (Matt Gelb, Philadelphia Inquirer).
- Rays: Placed SS Yunel Escobar on the DL with a right shoulder injury.
- Detroit Tigers : DH Victor Martinez missed a second straight game because of soreness in his back and side.
- Minnesota Twins : 1B Joe Mauer exited Tuesday night's game with a strained oblique. He's been dealing with the injury for a little while now, but what happened Tuesday worsened it. (Rhett Bollinger via Twitter)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Los Angeles Angels : Acquired LHP Rich Hill from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for cash considerations and then called up him to the majors.
- Baltimore Orioles : Designated OF Nolan Reimold for assignment.
- Texas Rangers : Designated LHP Joe Saunders for assignment.
- Red Sox: Released LHP Chris Capuano .
- Chicago White Sox : Released RHP Mitchell Boggs .
Our Latest Stories
The Detroit slugger will open the season on the disabled list
The Rays signed Wilson Ramos over the winter. Now they've added Derek Norris
Moncada discovered Twinkies at Walmart after leaving Cuba and eats up 85 a week
On this date in 2001, Randy Johnson inadvertently hit a bird with a spring training fastba...
Giants southpaw Will Smith needs Tommy John surgery
It's unclear whether Kang will be join the Pirates at all in 2017