MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for July 5
Saturday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, July 5 (click here for today's scores) …
- Our own MLB insider writes that the Boston Red Sox are reluctant to trade 3B Will Middlebrooks .
- Heyman also writes that the Minnesota Twins , absent significant improvement leading up to the deadline, are expected to try to move OF Josh Willingham and RHP Kevin Correia .
- Heyman has learned that the New York Yankees made a serious push for RHP Jeff Samardzija before the Chicago Cubs traded him to the Oakland Athletics .
- Toronto Blue Jays : 1B Edwin Encarnacion left Saturday night's game with a sore right quad. (Shi Davidi via Twitter) Manager John Gibbons later said it seemed like than Encarnacion would go on the DL. (Davidi) Encarnacion is batting .278/.369/.593 (160 OPS+) on the season with 26 homers in 88 games. Needless to say, his loss would be a blow to the Jays.
- Milwaukee Brewers : OF Ryan Braun was forced to leave Saturday's game because of back spasms.
- St. Louis Cardinals : GM John Mozeliak says LHP Jaime Garcia will undergo shoulder surgery and miss the remainder of the 2014 season.
- Yankees: RHP Michael Pineda (shoulder) hasn't seen game action since April 23, has been playing catch, and now Joe Girardi says the 25-year-old may be able to start throwing from a mound by the end of next week. Girardi previously stated that the Yankees were hoping to get Pineda back by August. (Alex M. Smith, MLB.com)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Los Angeles Angels , Arizona Diamondbacks : The Angels acquired LHP Joe Thatcher and OF Tony Campana from the Diamondbacks in exchange for a pair of prospects.
- Athletics: Optioned LHP Tommy Milone to Triple-A Sacramento.
- Blue Jays: Claimed OF Cole Gillespie off waivers from the Seattle Mariners .
- Diamondbacks: Signed RHP Kameron Loe to a minor-league deal.
- Miami Marlins : Optioned LHP Andrew Heaney back to Triple-A New Orleans.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : Claimed INF Dean Anna off waivers from the Yankees.
- Colorado Rockies : If SS Troy Tulowitzki 's recent comments are any guide, then he's open to being traded to a contender.
- Detroit Tigers : Sources tell Jon Morosi of Fox that the Tigers are interested in trading for their former closer Joaquin Benoit , now of the San Diego Padres .
Our Latest Stories
Renfroe has hit four home runs in his last four games
The Red Sox clinched the AL East title, but the Yankees had the last laugh on Wednesday
Fulmer could have become the first rookie ERA leader in 40 years if not for a rough inning...
It's also the third cycle in baseball this season
Boston should be fine in the post-Ortiz era, and they sure proved it in his final season
An impressive second half, including a magical September, paved the way