MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for July 5
Saturday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, July 5 (click here for today's scores) …
- Our own MLB insider writes that the Boston Red Sox are reluctant to trade 3B Will Middlebrooks .
- Heyman also writes that the Minnesota Twins , absent significant improvement leading up to the deadline, are expected to try to move OF Josh Willingham and RHP Kevin Correia .
- Heyman has learned that the New York Yankees made a serious push for RHP Jeff Samardzija before the Chicago Cubs traded him to the Oakland Athletics .
- Toronto Blue Jays : 1B Edwin Encarnacion left Saturday night's game with a sore right quad. (Shi Davidi via Twitter) Manager John Gibbons later said it seemed like than Encarnacion would go on the DL. (Davidi) Encarnacion is batting .278/.369/.593 (160 OPS+) on the season with 26 homers in 88 games. Needless to say, his loss would be a blow to the Jays.
- Milwaukee Brewers : OF Ryan Braun was forced to leave Saturday's game because of back spasms.
- St. Louis Cardinals : GM John Mozeliak says LHP Jaime Garcia will undergo shoulder surgery and miss the remainder of the 2014 season.
- Yankees: RHP Michael Pineda (shoulder) hasn't seen game action since April 23, has been playing catch, and now Joe Girardi says the 25-year-old may be able to start throwing from a mound by the end of next week. Girardi previously stated that the Yankees were hoping to get Pineda back by August. (Alex M. Smith, MLB.com)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Los Angeles Angels , Arizona Diamondbacks : The Angels acquired LHP Joe Thatcher and OF Tony Campana from the Diamondbacks in exchange for a pair of prospects.
- Athletics: Optioned LHP Tommy Milone to Triple-A Sacramento.
- Blue Jays: Claimed OF Cole Gillespie off waivers from the Seattle Mariners .
- Diamondbacks: Signed RHP Kameron Loe to a minor-league deal.
- Miami Marlins : Optioned LHP Andrew Heaney back to Triple-A New Orleans.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : Claimed INF Dean Anna off waivers from the Yankees.
- Colorado Rockies : If SS Troy Tulowitzki 's recent comments are any guide, then he's open to being traded to a contender.
- Detroit Tigers : Sources tell Jon Morosi of Fox that the Tigers are interested in trading for their former closer Joaquin Benoit , now of the San Diego Padres .