MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for June 10
Tuesday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Sunday, June 1 (click here for today's scores) …
- Houston Astros : OF George Springer missed a second straight game because of a sore right knee.
- Arizona Diamondbacks : Have placed 3B Eric Chavez on the DL with a sprained left knee.
- Miami Marlins : 2B Rafael Furcal (hamstring, groin) is currently on a minor-league rehab assignment and could be ready to make his 2014 debut by the weekend. (Joe Frisaro, MLB.com)
- Philadelphia Phillies : LHP Cliff Lee (elbow) is "very close to picking up a ball," according to manager Ryne Sandberg. As Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer writes, that means Lee may be able to get in a handful of starts in advance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. If the 35-year-old Lee can pitch as he has throughout most of his career, then he'll draw plenty of interest should the Phillies decide to shop him. Lee, who hasn't pitched since May 18, boasts a 3.18 ERA and NL-leading 6.78 K/BB ratio on the season. He's under contract for $25 million this season and is owed $25 million for 2015 with a $12.5-million buyout on a $27.5-million vesting option for 2016. In other words, if the Phillies are to deal him, then they'll almost certainly need to include a large pile of cash in any such trade.
- Cincinnati Reds : After a successful minor-league rehab outing at Triple-A, RHP Mat Latos will rejoin the Reds' rotation on Saturday against the Milwaukee Brewers . He's yet to pitch this season after undergoing knee surgery in February. For his career, the 26-year-old Latos owns an ERA of 3.38 in 137 starts. (John Fay via Twitter)
- Colorado Rockies : OF Carlos Gonzalez had a "foreign body" removed from a finger on his left hand. There's not yet a timetable for his return.
- Minnesota Twins : RHP Mike Pelfrey will likely miss the next two to four months after undergoing elbow surgery.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Atlanta Braves : LHP Alex Wood is likely on his way to Triple-A to stretch out for full-time rotation duty. (Mark Bowman via Twitter)
- Chicago Cubs : Released RHP Jose Veras.
- Baltimore Orioles : 3B Manny Machado was suspended five games for tossing his bat during Sunday's game against the Oakland Athletics .
- Phillies: Agreed to terms with no. 7 overall pick RHP Aaron Nola (LSU). The terms of the deal aren't yet known.
David Dahl missed most of last season with a ruptured spleen, too
The Braves have now traded five players they signed last offseason or later
The trade candidate and free agent to be Jay Bruce has six homers in his last five games
The 2002 Rangers hold the MLB record at 27 games
The Orioles are the new No. 1 team in baseball
Puig has worn American and Cuban flag themed cleats this season as well