MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for June 16
Monday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Sunday, June 1 (click here for today's scores) …
- St. Louis Cardinals : According to GM John Mozeliak, RHP Joe Kelly (hamstring) has made progress and may be two or three weeks from rejoining the active roster. (Derrick Goold, St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- Arizona Diamondbacks : Have placed RHP Bronson Arroyo on the DL with a sore elbow.
- Los Angeles Dodgers : RHP Chad Billingsley will undergo season-ending elbow surgery. He hasn't pitched since April of 2013 ... OF Carl Crawford (ankle) has been shut down for the time being. He's been on the DL since May 27. (Steve Dilbeck, Los Angeles Times)
- Miami Marlins : Among other moves, placed OF Christian Yelich on the DL with a lower back strain.
- Baltimore Orioles : C Matt Wieters will undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery on his right (throwing) elbow.
- Pittsburgh Pirates : RHP Gerrit Cole (shoulder) felt good following a Sunday bullpen session and could be one to two weeks from returning to the rotation. (Bill Brink, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)
- Boston Red Sox : RHP Clay Buchholz (knee) will make at least one more minor-league rehab start before rejoining the rotation (Alex Speier via Twitter)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Cardinals: Agreed to terms with top overall pick RHP Luke Weaver (Florida State, no. 27 overall) on a slot bonus of $1.843 million. He'll report to the rookie-level Gulf Coast League on Wednesday. (Jennifer Langosch via Twitter)
- San Francisco Giants : Have signed 23-year-old Cuban OF Daniel Carbonell to a major-league contract. The deal is worth $3.5 million over four years.
- Minnesota Twins : Have released OF Jason Kubel.