MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for June 2
Monday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, June 2 (click here for today's scores) …
- Our MLB insider writes that the New York Yankees are believed to have reached out to free agent 1B/DH Kendrys Morales . As well, Heyman reports that the Kansas City Royals may also have some interest in signing Morales. After the Thursday draft, signing Morales will no longer cost his new team a draft pick.
- Arizona Diamondbacks : The team announced that OF A.J. Pollock on Monday underwent surgery to repair a fracture in his right hand. He's expected to be able to resume baseball activities in about eight weeks. Pollock sustained the injury while swinging at a pitch on Sunday. He's been one of the D-backs' most productive hitters thus far in 2014 and on Monday was also named NL Player of the Week.
- Los Angeles Dodgers : RHP Chris Withrow will undergo Tommy John surgery on Wednesday, the team announced.
- New York Mets : Have placed OF Juan Lagares on the DL with a strained intercostal muscle.
- Baltimore Orioles : Added LHP Johan Santana to the 40-man roster and then placed him on the 15-day DL. Santana is nearing his return from shoulder surgery roughly a year ago ... The team is hoping that OF/DH Nelson Cruz , who was struck on the hand by a pitch on Sunday, will be able to play on Tuesday. (Roch Kubatko via Twitter)
- San Diego Padres : MGR Bud Black says RHP Andrew Cashner (elbow) may come off the DL this upcoming weekend. (Will Laws via Twitter)
- Chicago White Sox : Activated 1B Jose Abreu (ankle) from the DL on Monday. He responded by homering off Clayton Kershaw .
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Houston Astros : Signed 1B Jonathan Singleton to a five-year deal worth roughly $10 million. The contract also includes three club option years.
- Miami Marlins : Signed RHP Kevin Gregg to a deal worth a pro-rated $2.1 million, CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reports.
A play that made history in a few ways
If Puig is on the move, where might he land?
The Yankees are trying things
The two hit kings are taking a few swings off the field
Hill has made just two full starts since May 29, so scouts haven't seem much of him
Many of their numbers are nearly identical