MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for June 3
Tuesday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Tuesday, June 3 (click here for today's scores) …
- Boston Red Sox : RHP Brandon Workman was suspended six games for throwing at Tampa Bay Rays 3B Evan Longoria during a recent game. Workman intends to appeal.
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Philadelphia Phillies : Signed RHP Jason Marquis to a minor-league contract.
- Chicago Cubs : Have designated RHP Jose Veras for assignment.
- New York Yankees : Have claimed LHP Wade LeBlanc off waivers from the Los Angeles Angels .
- Angels: CF Mike Trout , who missed the previous two games because of a back problem, was pulled from Tuesday night's game because mid-back discomfort ... OF Josh Hamilton (thumb) played his first game since April 8 and homered.
- Oakland Athletics : OF Josh Reddick is headed for the DL with a hyperextended left knee. To take his place on the active roster, the A's have activated RHP Ryan Cook .
- Arizona Diamondbacks : INF Cliff Pennington will be placed on the DL with a sprained thumb, and SS Didi Gregorius will be recalled to take his place on the 25-man.
- Washington Nationals : Ryan Zimmerman (thumb) was activated from the DL in time to notch two doubles on Tuesday.
- Phillies: LHP Cliff Lee has been unable to begin a throwing program because of ongoing discomfort in his elbow. (Todd Zolecki, MLB.com)
- Texas Rangers : As expected, LHP Matt Harrison underwent lumbar fusion surgery on Wednesday. As Anthony Andro of FoxSports Southwest writes, it's conceivable that the 28-year-old will never be able to pitch again ... 2B Jurickson Profar (shoulder) says he doubts he'll play at all in 2014.
- Rays: OF Wil Myers will be out at least two months because of a stress fracture in his wrist.
- Yankees: 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) returned from the DL and homered on Tuesday night.