MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for June 3
Tuesday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Tuesday, June 3 (click here for today's scores) …
- Boston Red Sox : RHP Brandon Workman was suspended six games for throwing at Tampa Bay Rays 3B Evan Longoria during a recent game. Workman intends to appeal.
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Philadelphia Phillies : Signed RHP Jason Marquis to a minor-league contract.
- Chicago Cubs : Have designated RHP Jose Veras for assignment.
- New York Yankees : Have claimed LHP Wade LeBlanc off waivers from the Los Angeles Angels .
- Angels: CF Mike Trout , who missed the previous two games because of a back problem, was pulled from Tuesday night's game because mid-back discomfort ... OF Josh Hamilton (thumb) played his first game since April 8 and homered.
- Oakland Athletics : OF Josh Reddick is headed for the DL with a hyperextended left knee. To take his place on the active roster, the A's have activated RHP Ryan Cook .
- Arizona Diamondbacks : INF Cliff Pennington will be placed on the DL with a sprained thumb, and SS Didi Gregorius will be recalled to take his place on the 25-man.
- Washington Nationals : Ryan Zimmerman (thumb) was activated from the DL in time to notch two doubles on Tuesday.
- Phillies: LHP Cliff Lee has been unable to begin a throwing program because of ongoing discomfort in his elbow. (Todd Zolecki, MLB.com)
- Texas Rangers : As expected, LHP Matt Harrison underwent lumbar fusion surgery on Wednesday. As Anthony Andro of FoxSports Southwest writes, it's conceivable that the 28-year-old will never be able to pitch again ... 2B Jurickson Profar (shoulder) says he doubts he'll play at all in 2014.
- Rays: OF Wil Myers will be out at least two months because of a stress fracture in his wrist.
- Yankees: 1B Mark Teixeira (wrist) returned from the DL and homered on Tuesday night.
Our Latest Stories
Breaking down the 2016 Fall Classic between two clubs that have waited a long time for it
Let's set the stage for the first game of the 2016 World Series in Cleveland
Who do our CBS Sports experts see winning Game 1 of the World Series?
Kipnis at media day on Monday talked about growing up in the Northern suburbs of Chicago
The Yankees traded Chapman and Miller at the deadline
The slugger tore his ACL on April 7, but could join the World Series roster