MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for March 14
Friday's full spring training recap -- transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
On the MLB hot stove front, here's all that's worth knowing for Thursday, March 9 ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Twins: Have signed closer Glen Perkins to a four-year contract extension that will pay him at least $22.715 million. The deal also includes a club option for 2018.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Stephen Drew , Kendrys Morales : Scott Boras, agents to both Drew and Morales, says his two clients are willing to wait until after the June draft to sign so that the signing team will no longer have to give up a compensatory draft pick.
- Brewers: GM Doug Melvin will soon meet with owner Mark Attanasio to discuss offering a multi-year extension to 24-year-old shortstop Jean Segura . (Tom Haudricourt, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Mariners: DH Jesus Montero was among the players sent down to Triple-A on Friday. (Greg Johns via Twitter)
- Orioles: Have optioned rehabbing right-hander Dylan Bundy (Tommy John surgery) to Double-A.
- Phillies: Have released C Lou Marson.
- Athletics: RHPs Jarrod Parker (forearm) and A.J. Griffin (elbow) will each be examined by doctors in the coming days. Both Parker and Griffin, if healthy, are expected to be members of the rotation.
- Braves: RHP Brandon Beachy will visit Dr. James Andrews on Monday and may be facing a second Tommy John surgery ... C Evan Gattis has revealed that underwent knee surgery last October. That's why the Braves have been limiting his time behind the plate this spring. (David O'Brien, Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- Dodgers: RHP Josh Beckett was forced from his Friday start because of ongoing issues with his sprained thumb. MLB.com's Ken Gurnick tweets that Beckett says his thumb is no better and no worse than it was when he first suffered the injury 10 days ago.
- Nationals: RHP Doug Fister (elbow) could see action in a minor-league game on Monday. (James Wagner via Twitter)
- Phillies: LHP Cole Hamels (shoulder) said he felt good after his most recent bullpen session and is slated to throw again on Sunday. He'll open the regular season on the disabled list. (Jim Salisbury, CSN Philly)
- Reds: RHP Mat Latos (knee surgery) faced hitters on Friday and says he's slated to start on Wednesday. (John Fay via Twitter)
- Tigers: SS Jose Iglesias is now questionable for opening day because of ongoing shin problems.
L.A.'s not in the rush to trade him, so let's check in on how the embattled slugger is taking...
As many as 20 teams are expected to attend the workout
Harper wasn't satisfied with a strike-three call
Pittsburgh's playoff hopes take a hit even if Cole only misses one or two starts
Max Kepler made an ill-advised dive in right field
Replay confirmed Didi Gregorius avoided the tag with a swim move