MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for May 28
Wednesday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Wednesday, May 28 (click here for today's scores) …
- Sources tell CBSSports.com's insider that the Washington Nationals plan to play Ryan Zimmerman (broken thumb) at multiple positions -- third, first and left -- once he returns from the DL.
- Atlanta Braves : Called up 2B prospect Tommy La Stella prior to Wednesday night's loss in Boston (La Stella notched two hits). This could indicate less playing time going forward for the severely struggling Dan Uggla .
- Los Angeles Angels : Have placed LHP Sean Burnett on the DL with a torn UCL. He may require Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career.
- Cleveland Indians : 2B Jason Kipnis returned from the DL on Wednesday.
- Miami Marlins : RHP Henderson Alvarez left his Wednesday start after five innings because of elbow stiffness. The team called it precautionary measure.
- Nationals: LHP prospect Matt Purke will undergo Tommy John surgery on Thursday. (Danny Wild, MiLB.com)
- Orioles: Rich Dubroff of CSN Baltimore writes that LHP Johan Santana and the team are discussing an extension to get him beyond his June 1 opt-out. From there, Santana (shoulder) is likely slated for a pair of minor-league rehab assignments before potentially joining the Oriole rotation on June 18.
- Texas Rangers : RHP Yu Darvish (neck) says he's likely to make his next on Sunday. (Jeff Wilson via Twitter)
- Boston Red Sox : Have placed RHP Clay Buchholz on the 15-day DL with a hyperextended left knee.
- Colorado Rockies : Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post writes that LHP Brett Anderson (broken finger) and RHP Tyler Chatwood (elbow) could each return before the All-Star break.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Orioles, Chicago Cubs : Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago writes that the Orioles appear to be the most active team when it comes to trying to swing a deal for RHP Jeff Samardzija .
Goldschmidt is a first baseman, yes, and a quality baserunner
Pedroia went 11 for 11 across three games before hitting into a double play in his final a...
L.A.'s not in the rush to trade him, so let's check in on how the embattled slugger is taking...
As many as 20 teams are expected to attend the workout
Harper wasn't satisfied with a strike-three call
Pittsburgh's playoff hopes take a hit even if Cole only misses one or two starts