MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for May 6
Tuesday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Tuesday, May 6 (click here for today's scores) ...
- Our MLB insider writes that Pirates outfield prospect Gregory Polanco turned down a seven-year, $25-million contract extension offer from the team. As Heyman notes, the deal, which was proposed in spring training, also included option years that could've significantly increased the value of the contract. Polanco is currently in Triple-A.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Cubs: GM Jed Hoyer says it's not certain that RHP Jeff Samardzija will be traded. (Jesse Rogers, ESPN Chicago)
- Mets: Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News writes that the Mets may be close to calling up some of their top pitching prospects from the minors.
- Athletics: LHP Eric O'Flaherty may be close to beginning a minor-league rehab assignment. (Susan Slusser, San Francisco Chronicle)
- Blue Jays: GM Alex Anthopoulos doesn't think RHP Brandon Morrow will require surgery on his injured hand. Thus, he could be back in the rotation by the All-Star break. (Gregor Chisolm via Twitter)
- Diamondbacks: RHP J.J. Putz is headed to the 15-day disabled list because of forearm tightness. (Nick Piecoro, Arizona Republic)
- Dodgers: LHP Clayton Kershaw (back) came off the DL Tuesday and turned in a dominant outing against the Nats ... OF Yasiel Puig (general soreness after running into outfield wall) missed a second straight game on Tuesday.
- Nationals: C Wilson Ramos (wrist surgery) hopes to come off the DL on Wednesday.
- Orioles: C Matt Wieters will see Dr. James Andrews about his ailing elbow. The worst-case scenario would entail a torn UCL.
- Rays: Good news for Tampa Bay, as RHP Alex Cobb appears to be ahead of schedule in his recovery from an oblique injury. In fact, is aiming to come off the DL some time late this month. ( Joe Smith via Twitter)
- Reds: Fox's Jon Morosi tweets that LHP Aroldis Chapman , who's been sidelined since spring training after being struck in the face by a line drive, could be activated as soon as this weekend. On the downside, Chapman struggled badly in a Tuesday rehab start for Triple-A Louisville (5 R in 2/3 IP).
- Tigers: RHP Anibal Sanchez (finger blister) had a bullpen session on Tuesday. He's eligible to come off the DL on Monday. (Jason Beck via Twitter)
- Indians: Have designated C George Kottaras for assignment.
- Marlins: Have released 1B/OF Greg Dobbs .
Our Latest Stories
On a lefty-lefty matchup, Tebow went deep to left-center
It's a happy ending after all
Instead of sitting to preserve his .400 average, Williams went 6 for 9 in a doubleheader
The Cubs were number one almost every week in 2016
Each of this week's goodbyes are vastly different and on vastly different scales of loss
The Red Sox missed an opportunity to clinch the AL East title as well