MLB Trade Deadline roundup: July 30
It was a busy day in trade deadline action, whether with deals actually happening, getting close to happening or reports flying. Here's a quick summary.
Here's a one-stop shop for everything trade deadline related that happened on Trade Deadline Eve.
- Early Tuesday, the Chicago White Sox scratched Jake Peavy from his start, so we knew something was afoot. And late Tuesday, a trigger was pulled. Peavy goes to the Boston Red Sox in a three-team, seven-player trade that sent Jose Iglesias to the Detroit Tigers and Avisail Garcia to the White Sox. Full story
- From earlier, it appeared the Red Sox were the only player for Cliff Lee , but now that Peavy is headed to Boston that looks even more unlikely. Full story
- Also, the Arizona Diamondbacks were thinking of trading Ian Kennedy to free up money for Peavy, so it's likely Kennedy is now off the block. Full story
- Alberto Callaspo was traded to the Oakland Athletics to play second base. Full story
- Trade candidates Alex Rios (full story) and Yovani Gallardo (full story) each left his respective game with an injury.
- The St. Louis Cardinals have checked in on infielder Erick Aybar . Full story
- Justin Morneau has not helped his trade value at all for the Minnesota Twins . Full story
- The surging Kansas City Royals want an upgrade at second base and have discussed Gordon Beckham and Howie Kendrick , among others. Full story
- Baltimore Orioles may pursue starting pitcher Jason Vargas and haven't made an offer for Houston Astros starter Bud Norris just yet. Full story
- Speaking of Norris, he was scratched from his scheduled start Tuesday, so it would seem a deal is getting closer to happening. Full story
- The Cincinnati Reds and New York Yankees have called the San Francisco Giants about possible availability of outfielder Hunter Pence . Notably, Pence has been traded prior to each of the past two trade deadlines and gone on to the playoffs -- last year winning the World Series. Full story
- Michael Young appers to be close to being traded by the Philadelphia Phillies , less than nine months after they traded for him. Full story