Nov. 13 offseason roundup: Three signings and rumors galore
Wednesday's offseason action at the GM Meetings included two free agent signings, one player avoiding arbitration, and a whole bunch of rumory goodness.
The third day of the GM Meetings brought a little more hot stove excitement than the first two days, including three signings. The meetings conclude on Thursday, but GMs and owners and front office staff will all head back to Orlando in roughly three weeks for the Winter Meetings. That's when hot stove hell breaks lose.
Before we recap the day in news, I implore you to head over to Jon Heyman's blog. He has updates on Jarrod Saltalamacchia, the New York Yankees and David Freese, the New York Mets and Jhonny Peralta , the Seattle Mariners , the Texas Rangers , J.J. Hardy and Shelby Miller, Mark Trumbo, Ike Davis the Los Angeles Dodgers ' outfielders, the asking prices for Ervin Santana and Johan Santana , and a whole lot more. Thirteen (!) posts in all today. Madness.
Now let's recap the rest of Wednesday's news from around the league.
• Oakland Athletics : Sign IF Nick Punto to a one-year deal worth $3 million with a vesting option.
• Atlanta Braves : Avoiding arbitration with LHP Jonny Venters , who is returning from his second Tommy John surgery. He signed a one-year deal worth $1.625 million. (Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Sportsnet.ca)
• Philadelphia Phillies : Sign RHP Shawn Camp to a minor league contract. (Heyman)
RUMORS & SPECULATION
• Toronto Blue Jays : Teams are showing trade interest in C J.P. Arencibia . Toronto has contacted all of the free agent catchers but has yet to make an offer. (Fox Sports)
• Mets: Have interest in free agent RHP Alfredo Aceves. He's durable and can fill pretty much any role. Also, he might be crazy. (Boston Globe)
• Phillies: Open to trading OF Domonic Brown , in part due to his poor defense. (Fox Sports)
• Tampa Bay Rays : They're seeking a catcher, a first baseman, and a late-inning reliever this winter, among other things. (Tampa Bay Times)
• Colorado Rockies : Senior vice president of baseball operations Bill Geivett said SS Troy Tulowitzki is "not going anywhere, period."
• Detroit Tigers : Cy Young Award winner RHP Max Scherzer told reporters he is open to signing an extension with the Tigers, but "it also takes two to dance." The team is "gauging interest" in RHPs Doug Fister and Rick Porcello as well. (mLive.com and Fox Sports)
• Minnesota Twins : They're seeking two veteran starting pitchers, and knowing how they operate, they'll probably be low strikeout, pitch to contact guys.
• Chicago White Sox : Will not trade OF Avisail Garcia or LHPs Chris Sale and Jose Quintana . Pretty much everyone else is available. (CSN Chicago)
Our Latest Stories
If your team is hoping to upgrade through free agency this offseason, we've got some bad n...
Gordon says since he doesn't have kids, hitting an HR for Jose Fernandez takes top billing
Teixiera also had a massive bat flip that he said he's never done before
Four signed balls and Jose Fernandez's checkbook washed up
Matz is heading for another checkup on his troublesome shoulder
Ramos has had a huge breakout season in 2016. Losing him would be a devastating loss for the...