Pavano's hoped-for return to the mound has been delayed until '14
Carl Pavano, who helped the Marlins to a World Series title but spent four disappointing years battling injuries and ailments with the Yankees after signing a $39.95 million deal, hasn't been able to work out yet following a freak snow-shoveling accident.
Carl Pavano's hopes for a return to baseball have been stalled until at least next year as he continues to recover from a serious injury that required removal of his spleen, his agent, Dave Pepe, said Thursday.
"Carl will not be physically able to play this year as he recovers from his spleen removal and the complications that followed,'' Pepe said via text. "His hope is that he can give it a try next year.''
Pavano, 37, suffered severe bleeding and internal injuries when he fell while shoveling snow at his Vermont home, he has said. Pavano, the former Twin, Yankee, Indian, Expo and Marlin right-hander, visited three hospitals and dealt with the loss of 6½ liters of blood, he told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "I'm just lucky to be alive," he told the Minneapolis newspaper in February.
The free agent Pavano hasn't been able to begin working out yet, and Pepe suggested he isn't close to doing so.
But the pitcher, who is 108-107 with a 4.39 ERA in his career, apparently isn't giving up hope he can pitch again.
Our Latest Stories
The two met earlier this season when Ledecky threw out a ceremonial first pitch
The 2015 NL MVP wasn't nearly as good in 2016, but the team around him was much better
Eduardo Nunez is not content to watch a ball fall harmlessly behind the plate for a strike
It's the Nats' third division title in the last five years
Runs are hard to come by for the Yanks right now
Jose Fernandez won't be starting on Sunday against the Braves as planned