Podcast: Athletics, Nationals preview
Chris and Matt preview the Athletics and the Nationals and talk about their expectations for both teams. Can the Athletics contend again? Are the Nationals the best team in baseball?
In this episode of the podcast, Chris and Matt preview the Oakland Athletics and the Washington Nationals and talk about their expectations for both teams. Can the Athletics contend again in the AL West? Are the Nationals the best team in baseball? All relevant questions are answered.
- From the beginning: Matt’s attempts to talk about the NCAA tournament are futile, and talk quickly turns to the Athletics. Did Matt like the club’s offseason moves?
- 3:25: How will the team use its outfield after the acquisition of Chris Young ?
- 5:20: We move to the team’s infield, where there are plenty of candidates but no clear options. Will Jemile Weeks get another chance? How much will Jed Lowrie play?
- 7:00: Was Josh Reddick ’s breakout legitimate?
- 7:30: What is Brett Anderson ’s upside?
- 8:50: The rest of the rotation is filled with young guys. We look at both Jarrod Parker and Tommy Milone first and then shift to the guys at the back end.
- 12:15: Who has the better skill set, Grant Balfour or Ryan Cook ?
- 13:50: Matt makes a strong bold prediction about the Athletics and tells you where they’ll finish in the AL West.
- 15:45: We shift to the Nationals and talk about the team’s big offseason moves.
- 16:15: Matt talks about why he liked the Rafael Soriano deal.
- 18:00: What are the expectations for Denard Span ?
- 18:40: How awesome is Bryce Harper ? Can Jayson Werth bounce back?
- 20:10: Are Ian Desmond and Adam LaRoche candidates for regression?
- 22:35: Matt and I disagree about the team’s lineup depth.
- 23:30: How good will Stephen Strasburg be this year? Can he contend for the Cy Young?
- 24:25: Matt talks about Gio Gonzalez and Jordan Zimmermann .
- 24:55: Is Dan Haren ’s back a major concern?
- 28:45: We talk about whether Strasburg should be considered a bigger injury risk than most pitchers and talk about the organization’s decision-making process.
- 32:25: How strong is the bullpen behind Soriano? Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard are strong; who else can emerge? How underrated is Craig Stammen ?
- 35:00: Matt makes a bold prediction about the Nationals and then ups the ante with another huge prediction.
- You can listen to the podcast in our popout player, which can be found here.
- We would also encourage you to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes, and be sure to let us know what you think.
- This episode of the podcast runs a little under 40 minutes.
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.
Our Latest Stories
The franchise catcher is in his walk year, and two sides appear open to a contract extensi...
The good news is that an MRI showed no structural damage
He was re-assigned to minor league camp on Sunday
Brian Havrilla has done important work
Young Brody Chernoff, son of Mike Chernoff, was a guest in the Indians' radio booth recently,...
Abbott struck out 13 while throwing 106 pitches in the dominant outing