Spring training injury update: Bad news for Hanley Ramirez?
With updates on the Dodgers, Cardinals, Cubs, Yankees, Giants, Red Sox, Phillies, Rangers, White Sox and more.
Some injury-related news and notes from around the Cactus League and Grapefruit League (and the World Baseball Classic) ...
- Los Angeles Angels : As CBSSports.com's Scott Miller reported, Albert Pujols is battling a case of plantar fasciitis in his left foot. Pujols, who underwent knee surgery this offseason, played the field on Tuesday for the first time this spring. … RP Ryan Madson experienced further discomfort in his surgically repaired elbow and is limited to long toss. He'll open the season on the DL. (Alden Gonzalez via Twitter)
- Toronto Blue Jays : RHP Dustin McGowan (shoulder) is slated to make an appearance in a minor-league game on Wednesday. He's not likely to be ready for opening day. (Gregor Chisolm via Twitter)
- St. Louis Cardinals : 3B David Freese (tailbone) is hoping to be back in the lineup on Thursday. (Jennifer Langosch via Twitter)
- Chicago Cubs : 3B Ian Stewart (quad) will not be ready for opening day. (Jesse Rogers via Twitter) … SP Scott Baker has been shut down after feeling soreness in his surgically repaired elbow. (Patrick Mooney via Twitter)
- Arizona Diamondbacks : OF Cody Ross (calf) on Tuesday was able to run on a treadmill and take batting practice. It still appears he'll open the regular season on the disabled list. (Jack Magruder via Twitter)
- Los Angeles Dodgers : CBSSports.com's Danny Knobler reports SS Hanley Ramirez injured his thumb during Tuesday night's World Baseball Classic championship game. He'll be examined by team doctors on Wednesday. … RHP Zack Greinke (elbow) is slated to throw 45 pitches in a minor-league game on Wednesday. A.J. Ellis will be dispatched to catch him. (True Blue L.A.) … GM Ned Colletti said he thinks OF Carl Crawford (elbow surgery) will be ready by opening day. (Dylan Hernandez via Twitter)
- San Francisco Giants : 3B Pablo Sandoval has been laid up with nerve irritation in his elbow, but he said he's improving and believes he'll be ready for opening day. (Andrew Baggarly via Twitter)
- Philadelphia Phillies : Although RHP Roy Halladay said he has lost 10 pounds in a span of two days, he still hopes to make his next scheduled start on Saturday. (Jayson Stark via Twitter)
- Texas Rangers : Ace Yu Darvish is still sidelined with neck stiffness. After a Tuesday workout, his status still isn't known. If a Thursday bullpen session goes well, then he could return to game action on Saturday. If Darvish suffers a setback or shows no progress, his status for opening day could be in doubt. (MLB.com)
- Boston Red Sox : DH David Ortiz , who has been severely limited by his healing Achilles this spring, was able to take 50 swings on Tuesday. He's still likely to open the season on the DL. (Rob Bradford via Twitter) … SS Stephen Drew (concussion) is headed to Pittsburgh for additional testing. There's no timetable for his return. (Gordon Edes via Twitter)
- Chicago White Sox : LHP John Danks (shoulder surgery) was battered in his fourth start of the spring. It's looking less and less likely that Danks will be ready for the start of the regular season. (Chicago Tribune)
- New York Yankees : SS/Cap'n Derek Jeter underwent an MRI and X-ray on his mending ankle. CBSSports.com's Scott Miller reports it's nothing more than some inflammation. Jeter's day-to-day. … RHP Phil Hughes (back) pitched a pain-free simulated game on Monday and could appear in a minor-league game this weekend. (MLB.com)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.
L.A.'s not in the rush to trade him, so let's check in on how the embattled slugger is taking...
As many as 20 teams are expected to attend the workout
Harper wasn't satisfied with a strike-three call
Pittsburgh's playoff hopes take a hit even if Cole only misses one or two starts
Max Kepler made an ill-advised dive in right field
Replay confirmed Didi Gregorius avoided the tag with a swim move