Spring training injury update: Carlos Beltran nursing injured foot
Carlos Beltran, Wilson Ramos, Aramis Ramirez and Aaron Hill headline Saturday's injury update.
Saturday's most notable injury news came early in the morning, when Tim Lincecum (blister) and Yovani Gallardo (groin) were scratched from their starts this weekend. Here is the rest of the day's injury news from around the league:
- Toronto Blue Jays : OF Colby Rasmus is still on track to return to the lineup early next week. He's dealing with a sore right shoulder. (MLB.com)
- Milwaukee Brewers : 3B Aramis Ramirez left Saturday's game with a left knee strain. Manager Ron Roenicke said he jammed it running the bases and is day-to-day. (Journal Sentinel)
- St. Louis Cardinals : OF Carlos Beltran was out of the lineup for the second consecutive day because of a bruised little toe on his right foot, which was suffered on a hit-by-pitch. He will still join Team Puerto Rico for the upcoming World Baseball Classic, but he might not play this week. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- Chicago Cubs : An MRI revealed minor inflammation in SS Starlin Castro 's left hamstring. He'll take some ground balls on Sunday but is still about 3-4 days away from returning to game action ... RHP Matt Garza played catch on Saturday but is still unlikely to be ready in time for opening day. He's returning from a lat strain. (Chicago Tribune)
- Arizona Diamondbacks : 2B Aaron Hill was scratched from Saturday's lineup with tightness in his left quad. No word on a timetable for his return. (Arizona Republic)
- Washington Nationals : C Wilson Ramos has been cleared to slide as he returns from knee surgery. He could appear in a game soon depending on how well the knee responds. (Washington Post)
- Boston Red Sox : C Jarrod Saltalamacchia hasn't play since Wednesday due to a stiff lower back. They're being cautious and he's day-to-day ... OF Jonny Gomes is day-to-day due to a laceration on his left knee ... LHP Franklin Morales has a stiff back and will not pitch Monday as scheduled. (Boston Globe)
- Detroit Tigers : Manager Jim Leyland said they are "backing off [DH Victor Martinez ] a little bit" as he returns from knee surgery. He did not play or take batting practice on Saturday (MLB.com) ... LHP Casey Crosby has a foot infection and was scratched from Saturday's pitching list. (MLB.com)
- New York Yankees : RHP Phil Hughes has been cleared to play catch on Sunday after missing close to two weeks with a bulging disk in his back ... LHP Boone Logan (elbow) and OF Slade Heathcott (thumb) will both be shut down for a few days. Both had MRIs that came back clean. (Journal News)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.