Spring training injury update: David Ortiz getting closer
With updates on David Oritz, Cody Ross, Aramis Ramirez, Starlin Castro, Ryan Zimmerman, Nick Markakis and others.
In addition to stories on Mark Teixeira 's strained forearm, Albert Pujols ' return to the lineup and Mariano Rivera 's forthcoming return to the mound, we've got injury updates from all around Cactus League and Grapefruit League camps ...
- Oakland Athletics : 2B Jemile Weeks is sidelined with a bone bruise on his throwing shoulder, but he's close to returning to game action. (MLB.com)
- Toronto Blue Jays : RP Sergio Santos will be sidelined until at least Saturday because of a strained triceps. Elsewhere, OF Colby Rasmus (shoulder) won't be able to return to the lineup until Thursday at the earliest. (MLB.com)
- Milwaukee Brewers : 3B Aramis Ramirez , who injured a knee on Saturday while sliding into second base, estimates he could be sidelined for the next week to 10 days. (MLB.com) … RP Kelvim Escobar has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve in his throwing hand. There's no timetable for his return. (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Chicago Cubs : SS Starlin Castro took grounders and ran the bases on Tuesday. Although manager Dale Sveum pronounced Castro to be healthy, he's not likely to see game action until Monday. (MLB.com)
- Arizona Diamondbacks : Manager Kirk Gibson said OF Cody Ross will be sidelined perhaps up to three weeks because of a lower leg strain. Ross is able to hit and throw in spite of the injury, but he's not able to run the bases. (MLB.com)
- Washington Nationals : 3B Ryan Zimmerman (shoulder) reported no problems after throwing across the diamond for the first time this spring. (Tim Kurkjian via Twitter)
- Baltimore Orioles : OF Nick Markakis will miss another few games because of the neck stiffness that has sidelined him since Sunday. (Britt's Bird Watch)
- San Diego Padres : OF Carlos Quentin (knee) RHP Andrew Cashner (thumb) could both make their spring debuts next week. (Corey Brock via Twitter)
- Tampa Bay Rays : DH Luke Scott (hamstring) should be back in the lineup by the end of this week. (Roger Mooney via Twitter)
- Boston Red Sox : DH David Ortiz is making progress in his comeback from an Achilles injury. Ortiz on Tuesday was able to run the bases for a second straight day, and soreness is becoming less of a hindrance. (Boston Globe)
- Detroit Tigers : After a successful appearance in minor-league spring training, OF Brennan Boesch (oblique) is ready to return to the active list. He'll compete for a starting job in left field. (Detroit News)
- New York Yankees : RP David Robertson was scratched Tuesday because he was unable to get loose while warming up in the bullpen. GM Brian Cashman says he's not concerned. (Daniel Barbarisi via Twitter)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.
The Twins youngster can really make things happen with his legs
Only seven of the 13 players haven't been moved since the deal
The Royals closer is heading back to Kansas City for tests
It looks like the Braves are about to be rid of Hector Olivera
The Nationals have traded for a new closer and demoted Jonathan Papelbon
To hear the manager tell it, the front office is working to move the franchise catcher