Spring training injury update: David Ortiz in doubt?
With updates on David Ortiz, Rich Harden, Aramis Ramirez, Starlin Castro, Felix Hernandez, John Danks, Dylan Bundy, Shin-Soo Choo and others.
In addition to the injury suffered by Texas Rangers lefty Martin Perez and the setback suffered by St. Louis Cardinals shortstop Rafael Furcal , there's plenty of other news and notes from around Cactus and Grapefruit league camps, including possible cause for pessimism on the Big Papi front.
- Los Angeles Angels : While RHP Ryan Madson (Tommy John surgery) is making progress after suffering a setback, it's possible he won't be fully healthy in time to see game action during spring training. (Orange County Register)
- Milwaukee Brewers : An MRI on the injured knee of 3B Aramis Ramirez showed no structural damage, but he could still miss the next week or so. (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) … RHP Yovani Gallardo (groin) threw a pain-free bullpen session on Sunday. He's scheduled for game action on Tuesday, and if all goes well, then he'll join Mexico's team in the World Baseball Classic. (MLB.com)
- Chicago Cubs : On Sunday, SS Starlin Castro (hamstring) was able to hit for the second straight day. He could return to the lineup by the middle of the week. (MLB.com)
- Arizona Diamondbacks : OF Cody Ross was back in the lineup on Sunday but was forced to depart after just three innings because of recurring discomfort in his left calf. It's possible he'll sit out the next game or two. ... 2B Aaron Hill say out Sunday's action because of a sore quad. (MLB.com)
- Seattle Mariners : Ace Felix Hernandez (elbow) successfully completed a 39-pitch bullpen session on Sunday. That puts him in line to make his spring debut on Thursday. (MLB.com)
- New York Mets : OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis suffered a serious knee bruise while sliding into second base on Sunday. Manager Terry Collins later said there was some "looseness" in the knee and that Nieuwenhuis will be evaluated further. (ESPN New York) ... RHP Shaun Marcum (shoulder) will pitch Tuesday for the first time since Feb. 23. (Newark Star-Ledger)
- Washington Nationals : Reliever Christian Garcia has a partially torn tendon and will be shut down for at least a week. While his status for opening day is now in doubt, surgery is not being considered. (Washington Post) ... 3B Ryan Zimmerman (offseason shoulder surgery) made his spring debut on Sunday, as he went 1-for-3 against the Cardinals. He was in the lineup at DH. ... C Wilson Ramos on Sunday saw game action for the first time since suffering a severe knee injury last May. (Washington Times)
- Baltimore Orioles : Phenom Dylan Bundy was a Sunday scratch because of a groin spasm. He's now expected to see the mound on Tuesday. (MLB.com)
- Tampa Bay Rays : DH Luke Scott was lifted from Sunday's action after straining his hamstring during an at-bat. Manager Joe Maddon says the move was precautionary. (Tampa Tribune)
- Boston Red Sox : DH David Ortiz had planned to run the bases on Sunday, but continued discomfort in his Achilles' tendon prevented him from doing so. Manager John Farrell says he still believes Ortiz will be ready for opening day. (Boston Globe)
- Cincinnati Reds : OF Shin-Soo Choo (quad) and C Ryan Hanigan (oblique) have each missed the the last three games. The injuries are not considered serious. (MLB.com)
- Minnesota Twins : Lefty Scott Diamond (bone chips removed from elbow) might throw live batting practice on March 12. If all goes well, he'll see game action shortly thereafter. RHP Rich Harden (shoulder) is presently throwing long toss from 150 feet. (Minneapolis Star-Tribune)
- Chicago White Sox : On Monday, LHP John Danks (shoulder surgery) will face major-league hitters for the first time since May. "I'm excited, nervous, anxious," he said of returning to the mound and facing the defending-champion San Francisco Giants . "You name it, I feel it." (Chicago Tribune)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.
Our Latest Stories
Valencia has been considered a platoon player for much of his career
Jones said USA used Puerto Rico championship shirts and parade plans as motivation for the...
Regarding the impact of the World Baseball Classic, the commish has a few things to say
The fourth installment of the WBC was an overwhelming success
First spring at-bat? No problem. Arrieta goes downtown to the tune of 465
The Yankees seem to be shooting down offers for veteran shortstops across the league