Spring training injury update: Feb. 22
Our nightly recap of spring training injuries includes two big-name Dodgers and more. No reason for an extended intro, let's just dive in.
Our nightly recap of spring training injuries includes two big-name Los Angeles Dodgers and more. No reason for an extended intro, let's just dive in.
- Chicago Cubs : Third baseman Ian Stewart had a 2012 season that was marred by injury, so the fact that he has to get an MRI already may raise red flags. Stewart, however, insists it's only precautionary after he felt a tweak in his left quad while rounding first. (Chicagotribune.com)
- Dodgers: Matt Kemp (shoulder) and Carl Crawford (elbow) are both coming off surgery and are progressing toward hitting the field. Still, they are taking things slow. March 1 is a target for Kemp -- though it's not set in stone and could be even a week later -- while Crawford is a bit behind. Manager Don Mattingly notes that both players will begin spring play as a DH. (MLB.com)
- Miami Marlins : An MRI has revealed a strained back for outfielder Justin Ruggiano , but he has no structural damage. He's "day to day" but will take as much time as he needs, being that it's so early in the spring. (MLBlogs network)
- Washington Nationals : Reliever -- possibly to be converted to starter -- Christian Garcia has what the team is calling a strain between the right forearm and wrist. He will miss "at least a few days" and the Nats seem to believe there's a tendon or ligament issue. (Nationals Journal)
- Baltimore Orioles : Starting pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada is coming off Tommy John surgery and threw off the half-mound Friday. He'll hit the regular mound for the first time Monday. (Britt Ghiroli via Twitter)
- Boston Red Sox : Designated hitter David Ortiz is "confident" he'll be ready for opening day. Remember, an Achilles injury ended his 2012 season. (Pete Abraham via Twitter)
- Detroit Tigers : Designated hitter Victor Martinez is coming off a torn ACL, which caused him to miss all of the 2012 season. He had three at-bats Friday and said he isn't even thinking about his knee, a great sign of Martinez's well-being both mentally and physically. (MLive.com)
- Chicago White Sox : Outfielder Jordan Danks will miss a few days with a right flexor strain. (Mark Gonzales via Twitter)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.
A play that made history in a few ways
If Puig is on the move, where might he land?
The Yankees are trying things
The two hit kings are taking a few swings off the field
Hill has made just two full starts since May 29, so scouts haven't seem much of him
Many of their numbers are nearly identical