Spring training injury update: Feb. 26
Another injured Yankee headlines Tuesday's injury report.
Two days after losing Curtis Granderson for 10 weeks due to a fractured forearm, the New York Yankees lost another key lineup cog to injury Tuesday. Luckily for them, Kevin Youkilis ' sore left oblique isn't expected to sideline him very long.
“I got up today and was moving around fine,” said Youkilis to Chad Jennings of the Journal News. “It’s one of those things where, I think after I swung yesterday and running and all that, it was hot and I got a little dehydrated. When I got water in me, I was fine. Being a month away from games and all that, they just wanted to take it precautionary. I wanted to play today and was perfectly fine to play and didn’t feel like there was in risk.”
Manager Joe Girardi confirmed the Yankees are just playing it safe as teams are wont to do in February. Youkilis is not going for an MRI and will be reevaluated in a few days. Here is the rest of Tuesday's injury update:
- Los Angeles Angels : 1B Albert Pujols (knee) is running on a treadmill and fielding ground balls hit right at him, but he's still a few days away from running the bases and side-to-side work ... LHP Sean Burnett (back) played catch on Tuesday and will throw off a mound in a few days ... RHP Ryan Madson (elbow) is throwing on flat ground and must increase his long-toss distance before getting back on a mound. (Orange County Register)
- St. Louis Cardinals : SS Rafael Furcal has ramped up his throwing program and is taking batting practice from both sides the plate. He is targeting this coming weekend for game action. Furcal rehabbed a torn elbow ligament over the winter. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- Arizona Diamondbacks : C Miguel Montero did not play on Tuesday due to a swollen right thumb. Neither Montero nor the team know why the digit is irritated, but they are hopeful he'll return to the lineup soon. (MLB.com)
- Texas Rangers : RHP Colby Lewis (elbow) threw off a half-mound on Monday and is slightly ahead of schedule. He's expected to throw a bullpen session on Friday ... RHP Joakim Soria (elbow) threw a bullpen session on Monday and reported no problems ... OF Engel Beltre had his sore left shoulder examined on Tuesday after showing no progress over the last week. (ESPN Dallas)
- Washington Nationals : C Wilson Ramos said his surgically-repaired knee feels "95 percent," and he's doing every drill coaches are throwing at him. He has not been cleared to slide yet and will not be able to play in exhibition games until the doctors give him the OK to slide. (Washington Times)
- Chicago White Sox : Manager Robin Ventura said IF Jeff Keppinger won't play third base for a few days because of a sore right shoulder. (Chicago Tribune)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.
Colin Rea left with an elbow injury during his first start with the Marlins
The Twins youngster can really make things happen with his legs
Only seven of the 13 players haven't been moved since the deal
The Royals closer is heading back to Kansas City for tests
The Braves and Padres both get rid of Hector Olivera on the same night
The Nationals have traded for a new closer and demoted Jonathan Papelbon