Spring training injury update: Feb. 27
Starlin Castro headlines Wednesday's injury recap.
The Boston Red Sox lost third baseman Will Middlebrooks to "right wrist soreness" Wednesday, but they weren't the only club to see their prized young player go down with injury. Chicago Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro is day-to-day with left hamstring tightness after pulling up lame while running to first.
"It was not a good (first) thought," said manager Dale Sveum to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune. "He pulled up quite a bit. I didn't know if it was a knee. When most guys do it, they grab (the leg). He was just kind of hobbling. Thank God, it doesn't seem to be a big deal at all."
The 22-year-old Castro said it felt like a charley horse more than a strain. He is tentatively scheduled to play Thursday, but that could change if the club feels like being cautious. Castro has said his goal for 2013 is to play in all 162 games. Here are the rest of Wednesday's injury updates:
- Los Angeles Angels : UTIL Bill Hall is day-to-day with a tight right quad. He pulled up lame charging a ground ball on Wednesday. (Los Angeles Times)
- Cubs: RHP Matt Garza is expected to begin some light throwing on Thursday. He's been sidelined by a lat strain. (CSNChicago.com)
- Los Angeles Dodgers : OF Carl Crawford was supposed to made his spring training debut on Thursday, but the team will take is slower according to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman. Crawford is coming back from Tommy John surgery.
- New York Mets : RHP Zack Wheeler was scratched from Wednesday's start with a mild oblique strain. The team is playing it safe and their top prospect suggested he could return to game action soon (ESPN New York) ... LHP Pedro Feliciano has been cleared following tests for a "hole" in his heart. He will return to the team on Thursday. (Feliciano on Twitter) ... INF Daniel Murphy (intercostal strain) is 7-10 days away from returning to game action according to manager Terry Collins. (ESPN New York)
- Baltimore Orioles : LHP Tsuyoshi Wada threw another full-mound bullpen session on Wednesday. He is returning from Tommy John surgery. (Baltimore Sun)
- Philadelphia Phillies : OF Darin Ruf has been dealing with some biceps soreness, but he is expected to play on Thursday. (Philadelphia Inquirer)
- Red Sox: 1B Mike Napoli went through baserunning drills on Wednesday, and the plan is for him to make his spring training debut on Friday. He has a condition in his hips that led to his contract being reworked this offseason. (Boston Globe)
- Detroit Tigers : X-rays and an MRI confirmed patellar tendinitis in OF Quintin Berry 's left knee. He'll get treatment and be reevaluated in a few days. (MLB.com)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.