Spring Training injury update: Lots of D-Backs, Red Sox
Injury updates for the D-Backs, Mets, Nationals, Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox and Yankees.
Here comes your daily dose of injury goodness (or, wait, injuries are bad, so ... "badness?"):
- Arizona Diamondbacks : Just as the headline above noted, there are several here. Outfielders Adam Eaton and Cody Ross are likely to start the season on the disabled list. Infielder Willie Bloomquist appears headed that way as well. Outfielder Jason Kubel has an ankle injury, second baseman Aaron Hill has a bruised left pinky (though he seems fine). (AZcentral.com)
- New York Mets : Justin Turner had to leave Wednesday's game with a strained left calf, this coming only a few days after returning from a sprained ankle. There's a chance he could start the season on the DL. (ESPN New York)
- Washington Nationals : Young pitcher Christian Garcia could be cleared to start throwing Monday as he works back from a forearm issue. The Nationals plan on using him as a starting pitcher this year. (CSN Washington) Left fielder Bryce Harper (hand contusion) won't play until Friday at the earliest, but things still don't seem worrisome. (Adam Kilgore via Twitter)
- Baltimore Orioles : Pitcher Jair Jurrjens suffered a ribcage contusion when he was hit by a line drive. He'll have X-rays taken Thursday. (School of Roch)
- San Diego Padres : Infielder Logan Forsythe couldn't play through the unbearable pain due to his plantar fasciitis in his right foot Tuesday, and Wednesday he was sent back to San Diego to see a specialist. There's now a chance he'll need to start the season on the DL, meaning he'd join third baseman Chase Headley . (MLB.com)
- Boston Red Sox : Outfielder Shane Victorino had a right wrist issue that required an MRI, but it came back clean. (Boston Herald via Twitter) Both shortstop Stephen Drew (concussion symptoms) and designated hitter David Ortiz (heel soreness) took batting practice Wednesday. (CSN New England) Center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury still has a lingering issue with his jammed right heel and sat out again Wednesday, though he's expected to play Thursday. (CSN New England)
- Chicago White Sox : Shortstop Alexei Ramirez was hit by a pitch and sustained a right shoulder contusion. He's day to day. (CSN Chicago)
- New York Yankees : If you noticed Robinson Cano was out of the lineup and worried, Yankees fans, that's understandable given what's gone down this spring. But it was only a stomach bug. (WFAN via Twitter) As expected, starter Phil Hughes (back issue) will start the season on the disabled list. (Joel Sherman via Twitter)
Our Latest Stories
It also works if you appear during a television broadcast
They call it the 'Triple Play'
This year is the 25th anniversary of the classic episode 'Homer at the Bat'
O's VP John Angelos is the son of team owner Peter Angelos
Judge is not not strong
The sense of urgency in D.C. is the highest in MLB, but they might be in position to do something...