Spring training injury update: Sandoval out with irritated nerve
Pablo Sandoval, Yu Darvish, Ian Kennedy, Carlos Quentin and Scott Baker headline Monday's injury update.
The biggest piece of injury news out of spring training on Monday involved Chase Headley's left thumb, which is fractured and will cause him to miss about a month. He hurt himself sliding into second base over the weekend, and it doesn't appear he will need surgery. Here are the rest of the day's updates:
- Chicago Cubs : RHP Scott Baker will have a precautionary MRI after feeling some soreness in his surgically-repaired right elbow on Sunday. He is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. (MLB.com)
- Arizona Diamondbacks : RHP Ian Kennedy is fine after getting hit in the left leg by a comebacker on Saturday and will make his next scheduled start. (Arizona Republic)
- Los Angeles Dodgers : RHP Zack Greinke is scheduled to pitch in a game on Wednesday after missing a week with a sore right elbow ... RHP Chad Billingsley has a bruised right index finger after hurting himself during a bunting drill on Friday. X-rays were negative, but he's still a few days away from appearing a game ... RHP Josh Beckett was scratched from Monday's start with the flu. (MLB.com)
- San Francisco Giants : 3B Pablo Sandoval has an irritated nerve in his right arm after being scratched from Sunday's game with soreness in his elbow. He will rest for a few days and get treatment. (San Francisco Chronicle)
- San Diego Padres : OF Carlos Quentin played in a minor-league game for the second straight day on Monday. He has been out with discomfort in his right knee (San Diego Union-Tribune) ... IF Logan Forsythe hopes to return to the lineup in two days. He has been battling plantar fasciitis in his right foot. (MLB.com)
- Texas Rangers : RHP Yu Darvish was scratched from Monday's start due to a stiff neck. It is not considered serious, and he is expected to make his next start as scheduled. (Fort Worth Star-Telegram)
- Boston Red Sox : DH David Ortiz (inflamed heels) did not take batting practice on Monday as had been planned, and manager John Farrell said it's a "concern in that it’s going to be a couple more days than originally thought." (Boston Globe) ... SS Stephen Drew is likely to visit a concussion specialist soon. He's been out since getting hit in the helmet by a pitch on March 7. (MLB.com)
- Detroit Tigers : OF Avisail Garcia is on crutches and out indefinitely with a right heel contusion. He hurt himself lunging for first base trying to beat out an infield hit on Saturday. (Detroit Free Press)
- Minnesota Twins : LHP Scott Diamond will open the season on the DL and is targeting April 12 for his return to the rotation. He had offseason surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow. (MLB.com)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.
Our Latest Stories
The Giants legend is 52
The franchise catcher is in his walk year, and two sides appear open to a contract extensi...
The good news is that an MRI showed no structural damage
He was re-assigned to minor league camp on Sunday
Brian Havrilla has done important work
Young Brody Chernoff, son of Mike Chernoff, was a guest in the Indians' radio booth recently,...