World Series Remember When: 'I'm Keith Hernandez'
Exactly 31 years ago on this very date, Keith Hernandez came through with a game-tying single in the sixth inning against his high school teammate on his birthday in Game 7 of the World Series.
World Series memories: Larsen's perfect game | Gibson's hobbled home run | Mays' over-the-shoulder catch | Podsednik's walkoff HR | Mazeroski's walkoff HR | Koufax's clutch shutout | Carter's series-ending homer | Gibson fans 17 | Bay Area earthquake | Reggie's three homers | Sandoval's three homers
Today's look back at a memorable World Series moment was chosen for many reasons. Though this is far from one of baseball's most transcedent moments, I'm going with Keith Hernandez's game-tying, two-RBI single in Game 7 of the 1982 World Series.
Here it is:
The Cardinals would go on to win the series, one of their now 11 World Series titles.
And here are the reasons I chose this moment:
1. It happened on October 20, so exactly 31 years ago.
2. Hernandez's birthday is October 20.
3. Hernandez got the hit off Bob McClure, a teammate of Hernandez's at Capuchino (San Bruno, Calif.) High School.
4. I wanted to pick a Cardinals or Red Sox moment in light of the upcoming World Series.
5. It gives me the excuse to post this:
So it's a win all around. Viva la Mex.
Our Latest Stories
Kinsler's two-run shot in the third made it 2-0 USA
The tournament began with first round play on March 6
A champion will be crowned on Wednesday night
A champion will be crowned on Wednesday evening
Kinsler says Team USA shows its passion in a different way
Team Puerto Rico has started a trend